iPhone to laptop

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by Allan, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Allan

Allan

Apr 21, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    I can connect my Voyager on Verizonwireless to my laptop for internet connection on the laptop.

Can one do the same with an iPhone?

2. Allan

Allan

Apr 21, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    I think I found the answer which is no.
    There was an application called netshare on the iPhone site for $10 which was supposed to allow this but I heard Apple pulled it.

3. Yeah they pulled it, put it back on and then pulled it again.
    Apple and ATT don't have the same priorities.

4. Allan

Allan

Apr 21, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    I don't own an iPhone - I would get one if it could tether and a few other things.
    Can someone download iPhone Apps to their Mac if they don't have an iPhone? Where are these apps located?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2009
  5. PDuany

PDuany

Aug 10, 2005
    NH
  6. isayx3

isayx3

Apr 12, 2008
    Corona, Ca
    Tething was one of the reasons it took me so long to switch to the iphone. Here is what I do...I bought a at&t aircard via ebay. When I need internet on my laptop I swaped my sim card over to the aircard. I test this on a pcmcia aircard and got 1.3 down and 340kpbs up. I ordered an express aircard (since main laptop only has an express slot) to test it on..but that wont come till later this week.

Edit....I've only tested this on a windows machine....i assume it works the same. I used the At&t connection manager..so as long as there is a mac version it should work.

7. Stephen Fox

Stephen Fox Guest

Tethering

When the iPhone was at v1.04 I had a look into tethering as I was going away and wanted the Internet on my MacBook. I had to jail break my phone and monkey around lots - I mean lots. After some time I had it working but I could only connect to certain websites and all the fiddling around was awkward to day the least. I went away for a week and decided that the awkward fiddling not not worth the hassle and I would make do with the full-ish Internet on my phone.

Whilst being jail broken my iPhone became unstable and again felt the benefits of tethering were not worth it.

V2.0 came along and upgraded and my iPhone was stable once more however there was no chance of tethering. I was not aware of netshare but sounds IDEAL.

Has anyone tried of use netshare and can it be passed around in lieu of being able to officially purchase it.

I agree with purchasing a low cost GRPS/EDGE card but would have to be USB as my MacBook has no express or PCMCIA slot.

8. I have the feeling that we will be seeing an ability to tether pretty soon -- an official way, authorized by Apple and AT&T. However, I'm sure that there will be a price tag attached to this!

As far as the Apps store, yes you can browse there if you've got the current version of iTunes, but there is no point in downloading and installing any of the apps unless you've got an iPhone, because they do not work on the computer, they are coded specifically for an iPhone. The way it works is that you download and install into iTunes and then you connect your iPhone to the computer and sync, which installs the apps on to the iPhone.

There is an amazing variety of apps -- I have only installed a few myself, including one which is a DOF chart, but one can have a lot of fun with games and visual effects on the iPhone.

9. isayx3

isayx3

Apr 12, 2008
    Corona, Ca
    The reason Wireless carriers do not usually officially support tethering is because they want to upsell you to aircards or in some cases an upgraded plan that will allow you to tether with your phone/pda. Some verizon phones actually had firmware that disabled the the phones abilities to tether and forced uses to use 3rd part apps like PDAnet. In this case Apple has control over what apps you can install unless you jailbreak.

10. Stephen Fox

Stephen Fox Guest

Lets hope so, apart from the paying for it bit :wink:

Whats is your DOF chart, app?

11. It is by NeyMedia, called DoF Calculator and is available for the iPhone and iPod Touch. Basically you put in info: camera, focal length (lens length), aperture and approximate subject distance and the DOF calculator does the rest. The thing also does hyperfocal distance as well. It's pretty cool!

12. Allan

Allan

Apr 21, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    Connie's prediction for a "soon" official tethering has not happened. Next month is when I need laptop internet.
    Has anyone recently jailbreaked their phone and find it more stable than Stephen did?
    Also, what would be the hassles of pulling out the sim card and putting it in an aircard and then back in the iPhone when I am done with the laptop?

13. Maybe they'll announce it at MacWorld.... ??

I have not jailbroken my iPhone and won't, so don't know how successfully your idea would work out. Also I've never used an aircard so can't offer useful assistance there either. Good luck!

14. Gort

Gort

Mar 10, 2008
    Phoenix
    It is very easy to tether with a jailbroken phone, and if you don't go wild with the downloads, AT&T won't notice. But, I'll just leave it at that.

The most recent statement I've seen is the head of AT&T Mobility saying official tethering would be available "in 2009." Gizmodo recently reported that Jobs responded to an e-mail complaint about the lack of tethering, with Jobs reportedly saying the lack of tethering was "ludicrous."