1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

iPhone update 2.1

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by Allan, Sep 12, 2008.

1. It is out - upgrade through iTunes

2. Stephen Fox

Stephen Fox Guest

It might need iTunes v8 to find the software upgrade. Worth upgrading iTunes first.

Hope this helps!

3. Yes, I believe you would HAVE to update to iTunes 8 first.

4. I windows friend had his upgrade fail and he cannot even restore - he has a dead phone now - will go to Apple Store.

I have a problem too. I got a voice mail - I played it and the screen went black - think in sleep mode. I then woke it and went back to voice mail. Whenever I select teh voicemail I had listened to the iPhone immediately goes to sleep. ANyone have that problem?

5. I've just updated my iPhone -- no problems here (so far!) Sorry to hear about your friend's problems. Had he updated to iTunes 8 first?

Allan, did you not realize that when you hold the phone up to your ear that the screen does go black? It is meant to do that.

6. Yes, but I forgot. However, when this was happening the phone was not up by my ear. But I will amend what I said above. When I selected the voice mail the screen goes black as keys do not work - just as if it were to my ear.

7. When it's in voicemail it is more sensitive than usual as far as the proximity sensor, so if you move your finger up too much it will trigger the sensor and sleep the display like Connie mentions.

8. Thanks. After 5 days I am still working on my typing skills. They are not that great but much better than Monday.

But how sensitive should it be? I have trouble with voicemails without screen going back.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2008
  9. havezet

havezet

Jul 10, 2008
    Netherlands
    No problems here either. The 2.1 firmware is definitely faster with installing new apps and with syncing. Also here in Holland the network reach is much improved which was an issue before.

With 2.02 I had problems with reaching my POP mail every now and then and even though the 2.1 release notes mentioned that that was improved, I still have this issue with 2.1. Not a biggie but would be nice if it gets fixed sometime.

10. BobW

BobW

Mar 10, 2008
    Illinois
    No problems here. I upgraded this morning with a windows laptop running vista.

Bob

11. dhean

dhean

Dec 16, 2007
    CA
    I hope the upgrade reduces number of random crashes.:Unsure:

12. The keyboard lag is gone, backs up quickly, battery life seems a little better, but my signal and download speeds seems to be a little worst.

Also I think they messed up the locations services.

1) Open Google maps
    2) Click settings
    3) Turn location services on
    4) Close settings
    5) Now reopen Google maps

Sounds like they were trying to keep people from turning it on without realizing they had, but it seems to me they would have programmed it to come on when an app needed it and turn it off when the app closed.

13. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I was going to get an iPhone today. Should I wait for another update or are you still happy? Battery life is not a big deal for me because it will be on charge in my truck and when I am home it will be on the cradle. Bluetooth handsfree built in the truck is such a great thing. :wink:

Not having it, has stopped my app development. My Touch can only do so much.

14. I don't think you should wait. One friend had a bad problem and "lost" his iPhone during the upgrade. He went to the Apple store and after "quite a while" (his words) they gave him a new phone.

I think his problems were with iTunes and Vista. He disconnected usb devises after reading this article and all is fine again.

15. Apparently there have been quite a few situations where people using Vista have gotten the BSOD when plugging in their iPhone or iPod Touch after the update to iTunes 8 and 2.1...... Obviously there is some conflict with the Vista software. That is unfortunate, as a lot of Windows users have iTunes and also use iPods or an iPhone.

16. New de bugged version:http://www.macworld.com/article/135530/2008/09/itunes8_windows.html

17. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I couldn't get it today but tomorrow should have better odds for me.

No worries about Vista for me. Its the reason I switched to mac.

18. Get it! You will love it..... I do.

They have a few problems, but they are working on them and as long as things are getting better... I can wait.

19. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Got it!

Sent from my iPhone. :smile:

20. Congratulations, Charles! Enjoy! :smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.