Iphone Waiting Game - Palo Alto

Discussion in 'Miscellany' started by beaucamera, Jun 29, 2007.

1. This was the scene outside the Apple store in downtown Palo Alto. The store was closed and big sheets of black plastic covered the outside windows and doors.

Things were pretty festive outside as I caught these shots around 3:30 P.M. this afternoon. The line curly queued around the block. The event seems to attract mostly loyal Apple fans. For every women wanting an iphone, though, there seemed to be about 20 guys.

Even the press wasn't immune to Palo Alto parking regs.

aka beaucamera
    This kid was first in line, so I asked him to show his that he was #1.
  2. Nice series Virginia.

Wish I were there.
  3. Well done Virginia. What's an iPhone?
  4. Thanks, Phil
    May the force be with you when you get an iphone!

aka beaucamera
  5. Duh! :eek:

aka beaucamera
  6. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

what a bunch of dweebs
  7. Fun shots, Virginia! You caught the sense of camaraderie that accompanies such occasions....Everybody looks happy and excited! There's just something about a big Apple event.....

Yep, here in Northern Virginia at the Tysons Center shopping mall there were many more men than women, but there was an interesting mix of age groups. The guy on my right was somewhere in his thirties and married, the guy on my left was either still a teen or in his very early 20's.....saw more than one grey-haired individual along the way, too.

I shot some photos today with the D40 but haven't yet uploaded into the computer. Too busy playing with my new iPhone and talking about it! I have to work tomorrow but at some point tomorrow evening I'll get to them....
  8. Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Those are great shots Virginia:>)))))
    Fun stuff
  9. Unbelievable! It's like waiting to get the first copy of the next Nikon body. For the highest price (I call it "early adopters punishment fee") and with all those little bugs of a brand new product.
    Severe toy lust I'd say.
  10. satelite seven

satelite seven

May 14, 2006
    Virginia!!!!! love # 5!!!
  11. What is truly amazing is that (so far, at least for me) there are NOT bugs and glitches and such.... Yes, some people have had issues with activating their new iPhone; while Apple had their act together and everything flowed smoothly, poor AT&T was overwhelmed by the sheer numbers of people wanting to set up new accounts, transfer from other mobile phone service providers, extend current contracts and change to iPhone, etc., etc.....

The iPhone itself is fantastic. Apple has pulled off a remarkable feat and has managed to produce a mobile phone which is easy for the consumer to use, attractive and appealing in looks, filled with various functions including the very valuable full internet access, and just plain fun to hold in one's hand.

I have had various cell phones through the years and for the most part they languished in my purse and then I'd hastily recharge the thing so that if I actually wanted to make a call or receive a call I could do so. My landline phone was still the "real" phone. My last mobile phone was the Samsung A900. Lovely phone, it served its primary purpose but I didn't like fumbling around trying to input contact names and numbers, I totally hated text messaging, and as for trying to access the internet, well -- just not satisfactory. I was spending a fair amount of money every month for services I really was not using.

When I first learned about the iPhone, I thought, "yeah, well, I don't use the cell phone I've got now, why would I use that one?" and for a long time dismissed the idea that I would buy one. Closer to "launch day" I started paying more attention to what I was seeing in adverts and hearing about on MacRumors and other sites. I started thinking, "well, maybe...." Come Friday June 29th, I decided, "OK, I'll go ahead and get one, as it sure looks as though it would be easier to use than my current phone." Waited in line for four hours, handed over the plastic card, got the beautiful bag with the iPhone package inside...and still had not even seen or held one! Briefly held it when I paused at the display counter.... As I was driving home the thought somewhat belatedly occurred to me: "gee, will I be able to hear on this thing?" LOL! Every other time I've bought a cell phone this has been a primary consideration. (I wear hearing aids.) So I get the thing home, open the packaging, activate it..... and oh, my! This was SO much more than I'd expected, something which is not only cool beyond words but something which I will actually be USING because of its great functionality.
    Finally I will be getting my money's worth out of a mobile phone. This is so much more than that. It's the internet in my pocket, it's my email on-the-go, it's my favorite songs which I can listen to with or without earphones...

I'm besotted. I'm in love. :Love: :Love: :Love:

Now I am hoping that Nikon takes its sweet time about coming out with their next big announcement (well, not TOO long) and their next batch of new lenses....gotta give my bank account a break, time to recover!!!
  12. Connie, I know that "woo-hoo I got a new toy" feeling very well, as well as the desire :wink: - I'm beginning to learn to withstand it. :smile:

So, have fun with your new toy. :biggrin:
  13. Bill K

Bill K

Jan 29, 2006
    Reno, Nevada
    Nice pictures, All I can say is unreal...lol
  14. Cool to see PA again. I used to live on Everett Ave., about 2 blocks from Waverly.
  15. Faceman

Aug 19, 2006
    LI, NY
    Could it be?

16. Looks like the same guy, most definitely! But....who is it?
  17. Mr. Kenneth Rockwell
  18. Oh, THAT'S why he looked vaguely familiar to me, then!!!! LOL!!! Ken Rockwell.... So I expect he's already posted a review of his new iPhone.... :biggrin:
  19. Nope, the hair is parted on the opposite side.
  20. Good catch, Sandi!

aka beaucamera