iphoto to imovie, quality lost ????

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by gilbo, Mar 31, 2007.

1. gilbo

gilbo

Feb 10, 2007
    Texas
    folks heres my situation, pics in iphoto r clears and sharp, then when i use the photos in imovie, they r no where as sharp or clear as when they were in iphoto. any thoughts, on why that is????

2. Are you exporting slideshows to idvd or imovie? If so then it creates little Quicktime videos for each slideshow and to my eye they do loose lots of resolution.

3. Don't judge image quality of photos in iMovie on a computer screen, a video monitor should be used.

I don't use a video monitor, I just know that after rendering and burning to DVD the image will look good on a TV.

DVD quality is 720 x 480 pixels. So yes the image quality is reduced.

Greg

4. gilbo

gilbo

Feb 10, 2007
    Texas
    well folks, after a bit of searching,i found out its a bug in the imovie program,and what happens is when u share from imovie to idvd and it ask to render, that when the bug occurs and adds something called jaggies.

to prevent this from happening, when u import the pics from iphoto to imovie,import with ken burns effect on, and that takes care of it.

and to get it to idvd,open up idvd then import the movie that way. rather than the share function from imovie

5. This is VERY interesting to me. I made my first slide show with my Mac by using an automator script (aperture to iDVD). It looked great on my computer. On television it was very jittery as it transitioned between photos. I have been bummed by this, as my slideshow and DVD creation software on my windows computer was magnificent.

I am wondering if there are bugs whenever one moves projects in and among iLife. Seems best to create from within the iLife app of choice and then burn it -- as opposed to doing some of the work in one app and then trying to move it into another?

Although the integration between iLife apps is part of what sold me on the Mac?

By the way, I went onto the Apple discussions after my experience with iDVD and everyone recommended that I buy a third party slideshow program (Photo to Movie?) since they said the jitters were common within iLife slideshow creation. I am determined to find a way to make these slideshows without the jitters from within iLife!

Any tips are welcome! (For instance, I would never have thought to try Gilbo's solution.)

6. In iDVD Preferences>Projects
    Do you have best quality checked?

7. gilbo

gilbo

Feb 10, 2007
    Texas
    yes best quality is checked

8. gilbo

gilbo

Feb 10, 2007
    Texas

i used imovie to create the slideshow, then from imovie to idvd

9. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    TOAST 8 recently won Best of Show at the mac convention in San Francisco. It is about $79.99-$99.99 and works better than idvd for me. No jitters whatsoever.

10. John:
    Now that is interesting! Maybe that is my answer too. Were you seeing jitters before but not since Toast?