iPod car adapter - FM Transmitter And Head Units

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PhotoByMark, May 14, 2007.

1. Just bought my wife an 80gb iPod.

Anyway....

I need to get a car adapter (one of those FM transmitter thingies) for the iPod.

There are a million types of these devices on the market.

My question: Can someone recommended one that they like and works well?

Thanks for your assistance.

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2007
  2. Stef

Stef

Nov 1, 2005
    Peoria, AZ
    I'm interested in this as well. I have bought and returned 4 of them already because they sound like crapola!

I have just come to the conclusion that I will just have a new stereo installed that is iPod ready. I guess you need the actual cord for it to sound good.

3. Hey Mark -

If you and your wife want the best sound quality from an iPod in the car, you should consider a direct-wired adapter.

I have one made by DICE electronics, and it provides excellent sound, charges the iPod when connected, and it will work with any steering wheel-mounted audio controls the car might have. It was also very easy to install: they have kits to attach into the head unit, or to a trunk-mounted CD changer.

There likely are many other alternatives out there, but this one has been good for me.

Eric

http://www.diceelectronics.com/

4. Schnauzermom

Schnauzermom

Apr 13, 2007
    Michigan
    As a cheapie work around...we've tried a few different FM transmitters, and none of them has sounded as good as my $10 tape adapter. Might be worth $10 while you look at other options. :)

5. Lisa, I've done the same with my Ipod and the techies I talk to always admit that hard wired is much better quality sound. My new vehicle is going to have an iPod input jack in it (yank out the factory sound system and put in a custom). When I'm on the road for long trips, I'll run my sound from the laptop since I'll already be hooked into GPS on it. Gotta LUV technology!

6. Schnauzermom

Schnauzermom

Apr 13, 2007
    Michigan
    My husband's work truck doesn't have a tape player, which is why we've accumulated the collection of FM adapters. LOL! I'd looooove to have a direct hookup like that....

7. Thx Stefani, do you know which ones you have tried? I can rule those out.

Thx Eric, I will check into that option.

8. Ditto, no cassette player.

So it sounds like those fm adapters are not that good then..... dang,,,, that is a bummer. Whole point of the thing is for use in the car, she is in her car all day for her work.

9. Schnauzermom

Schnauzermom

Apr 13, 2007
    Michigan
    Some are better than others.....we've tried...3? 4?...and there's one he preferred over the others by a longshot. It was a generic that I got at Murray's Auto, of all places. I'll ask him to try to remember to look for the brand name.

10. Mark, here's a review that you might find useful.

11. Stef

Stef

Nov 1, 2005
    Peoria, AZ

Started here: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...itter&lp=5&type=product&cp=1&id=1138085296065

Then went to this one: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...itter&lp=3&type=product&cp=1&id=1158323025824

Then went really spendy and what is suppose to be a good name:http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...itter&lp=3&type=product&cp=1&id=1107956964452

And currently have this one in my car right now: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...itter&lp=9&type=product&cp=1&id=1140394452806

If you want to try it out, let me know and I will send it to you to try. It doesn't sound HORRIBLE HORRIBLE, but it doesn't sound great, either. :frown:

12. Schlitz

Schlitz

Apr 22, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    Dave Talboys
    Hey Mark -- my daughter has an iTrip that she used in her old car. The new car is mp3 player ready so she plugs in directly to the jack on the radio. Now she uses the iTrip to keep the iPod charged. I can bring it to the TPF shoot on Sunday if you want to try it out...

13. Stef

Stef

Nov 1, 2005
    Peoria, AZ
    I agree with you on this. My niece has a cassette player in her little car and uses the tape adapter. It sounds pretty darn good.

Since I have a new car, and it doesn't have a cassette player, I was a little disappointed.

14. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

I use direct connection to the antenna for my Wife's XM radio...same princiapl as an Ipod...it just connects directly to the Antenna and then passes thru to the radio. Sounds awesome. ....not as awesome as my Alpine with Direct Ipod connection...but still good.

15. Two years ago we were following our daughter across Colorado; she was in a rental car returning to the Denver airport.

We kept wondering why we were getting all this Middle Eastern music on the radio - with no commercials.

You got it - she was using an FM adapter for her ipod.

And we were not following that closely, honest. I'm very careful about that.

16. I have the 80gb IPOD and have used three FM models. They're in my cars, but I'll get them and summarize their performance. Of course direct wire is the best. Most new card have the imput. Next is the tape converter. Unfortunately since it's mechanical they gradually tend to get loose and break up due to mis alignment. I used that with XMRadio. The FM unit is the lowest quality and the best frequency response you can hope for with it is the standard 30-15,000 hz.

However, much of this is a tempest in a teapot. Road noise, sub-optimal place ment of tweeters, low sampling quality of mp3s, and the acoustics of a car greatly reduce the quality of IPOD/MP3 sound. I seriously doubt that in a double blind test while driving most could even tell the difference between the various technologies. It comes down to acceptable sound and convenience. Pulling apart and replacing a portion of your sound system for that last 5KHZ is a very expensive cost-benefit ratio.

Rich

17. Wow! Lots o responses. Thanks everybody.

Lisa, Thanks I would like to like to know which brand.

Phil, I will read the reviews.

Stef, Thanks for all the links and thanks for the offer. Let me see how things
    go and I might take you up on the offer.

Dave, Sure bring it if you can, We will bring the Pod.

Joshua, Jim and Rich: Thanks for all your comments. Rich, I think if it just sounds decent my wife would be happy.

I will post back here after I get one and try it out.

18. I used Griffin's Road Trip FM device for a while with my 5G 60GB iPod and my Nano, but then became impatient with the frequent static and the poor sound quality that I was getting (living in a very urban area here), so finally bit the bullet and went to Tweeter, where I had them remove my factory-issued radio and install an Alpine with specific jack for the iPod. It's great! I LOVE it! Now I can easily control my iPod from the car radio system, including being able to see the performer's name and song title, and there are no longer any issues with static and such. Yes, it was a bit expensive but I feel it is really worth it for me, as I tend to listen to the iPod in the car more than anywhere else, and since my car is a fairly new model (2006) and I expect to keep it for a few years, I'll soon recover the costs.

19. Agreed, they aren't great but then what do you expect from a low power low range transmitter. They pick up tons of interferance and you are constantly changing frequencies to keep a good signal.

Hard wired is the best way, or bluetooth (need a bluetooth adaptor for your ipod) if your car stereo supports it (BMW Z4 - mmmm - it does - shame I don't own one !).

FYI, the one I'm using for my Sony MP3 phone is this one :-

http://www.expansys.com/p.aspx?i=141617&partner=froogle

Made by Iriver - pretty good, used it on a trip from Atlanta to Savannah in April - only had to change frequencies in Savannah, other than that it was great. Get one of those splitter for your cigarette lighter so you can power both. Only downside I find with mine is I have to keep the mp3 player volume up - the fm transmitter shutsdown if no input is detected, not good for quiet songs :mad:

20. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;