iPod Color - Anybody have one?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GaryW, Jul 19, 2005.

1. GaryW

GaryW Guest

I just read about the iPod Color (also called the Photo iPod). From what I can tell, it provides for 20gb of storage for off-loading your CF cards. It also has a color screen that you can view the pictures.

When not using it for off-loading, you can play music, like a regular iPod.

There was another thread here not too long ago about storage devices, but none of them allowed for viewing, as I recall. I was afraid to get one of those, because I could not see what was loaded until I got home from a trip to upload to the Mac.

Does anybody have one of these? Are they new on the market?

Thanks.

Gary

2. mf44

mf44

Jun 4, 2005
    NJ & MD
    I've got a 60GB iPod Photo. I've had for a few months now. Let me first say that I purchased it first and foremost as a music player, not for storage. I've used it a few times to store photos from a camera and I'm not all that pleased. The connection is extremely slow, at least for me. Plus, the screen is really too small to accurately depict the images, so the preview is moot. I'd much rather view them on the D2x.

Personally, if I didn't want the music capabilities I would have gotten a P2000 or Coolwalker.

Bottom line, in my opinion, the photo capability of the iPod is ok, but to me it felt a bit like a gimmick. I wouldn't use it for storage during a vacation or something...

Others may have different opinions. Again, since I primarily use it for music I haven't used the photo option tons, so I might have missed something. Heck, I'd love for someont to tell me how I can speed this thing up. In my experiences, though, it's a bit of a hass;e.

3. I'd echo everything that was said by mf44. I have the one with 30GB. Yes, it can store photos but you'd not be pleased with what it can do. Great as a music player though.

4. GaryW

GaryW Guest

Thanks, guys. This is why I like this forum so much. You just saved me from making a big mistake, I think.

I didn't know about the Coolwalker or the Epson P2000. It appears that the P2000 has more storage capabilities (40gb vs. 30gb) but is almost twice the price at $499.

Both, however, seem to have viewing capabilities.

Anybody care to compare those two for me, as far as upload/download time, etc. ?

Thanks again.

Gary

5. GaryW

GaryW Guest

After doing more research, I found that Nikon has apparently discontinued the Coolwalker, and without a replacement.

Also Phil Askew of Dpreview.com gave the Epson P2000 an excellent review.

B&H was out of stock, but I ordered the P-200 directly from Epson's site, and I didn't have to pay any tax OR shipping. Price = $499.99

6. mf44

mf44

Jun 4, 2005
    NJ & MD
    Wow, did not know that. I always thought it would sell poorly because the P2000 does everything a whole lot better. Guess I was right... Be sure to let us know how you like the Epson when it arrives!

7. I have the 40-gig Ipod photo. Like the others, I use it mainly for music. I also keep audiobooks on mine. I have little use for the picture screen because it's so small. I bought the Apple gadget that you use to download from the camera to the Ipod and it tested fine. But I have yet to actually use it because, even during a week of vacation shooting, I don't fill my two one-gig cards. But it sure is good to know it's there if I need it.

8. GaryW

GaryW Guest

I got the Epson P2000 today. It is going to work well! It wasn't an exciting delivery in that it's just a storage device. Not like a new lens. But, I am glad we won't have to take our laptop to Europe in September. This will work nicely.

Nice review screen (pics look a little dark, though), intuitive menu selections, and when hooked to the computer via USB, it acts as a card reader with each upload contained in its own folder. The folder is named by date and upload number. Ex: 20050722.001

9. mf44

mf44

Jun 4, 2005
    NJ & MD
    Gary, glad its working out for you. Just FYI, I saw on DPReview that Epson released an update for the firmware on the P2000. Might want to check it out.

10. Gary,

Enjoy your P2000. I have a 60GB iPod w/ color screen -- I refuse to call it by its "official" name :D -- but will probably just buy a laptop in the near future for offloading photos as I can't really justify getting a P2000 for my uses.

And yeah, I agree w/ the others, which is why I didn't even bother to buy the iPod connector. Actually, the iPod could be better as a music player. The audio gap between tracks annoys me to no end, and I can't fathom why Apple *adds* it during playback (although some of it could be introduced during conversion to MP3 too). The earphones could be better too for the price they charge.

Anyhoo, congrats on your new gadget.

_Man_

11. faenix

faenix

Jun 21, 2005
    Bayside, NY
    Just picked up a refurbished iPod 40gb color with carrying case and dock for $329. It's coming soon.

This is my 3rd ipod (first two were 4generation 20gb models, both stolen) Let's hope I don't lose this one!

12. GaryW

GaryW Guest

Mike,

I saw the specs on the firmware update. None apparently applied to me (more RAW formats, SD card enhancements). I don't think I will update since there is always a possibility of a screw-up on an update.

Thanks for the heads-up though.

Gary

(BTW, meet my dog, Cassie, via my new Avatar. She is 13 and might not be with us too much longer. A sweeter dog cannot be found.)

13. Help,

My Son-In-Law is letting me use his I-Pod (with a screen) to down load photos while I am in France for a few days. I was going to buy an Epson 2000 but didn't want to spend the money. I used my "camera money" to buy a 70-200mm vr lens instead. Am I waisting my time with the I-Pod or will it work in an emergency. (I leave tomorrow).

I am shooting a D2x and have 4 - 1G Ultra III cards

Once I am back from Europe & hopes of having some money left from the trip I'll do some research and buy my own portable storage unit (with a screen).

If I buy the P2000 in France, is that a "Gray Mkt" unit and will I have warranty problems once back in the USA. I'll call Epson on that.

My main goal is to own it (P2000) b/4 I go to Alaska next month where I will takes hundreds of Raw pictures.