Ipod- lost everything-how get to new computer?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GeeJay, Sep 20, 2005.

1. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Yesterday I realized I've lost 1375 songs and pictures on my Ipod. Transferred to a new computer and wiped out the old one... forgot about Itunes. Fortunately my husband has an Ipod with all in it but can't upload to my Ipod or my new computer... everything wiped off my Ipod when I hooked it to my new laptop...I found out yesterday that there's some third party software that can help....

Anyone out there know what it is? Is there a best one for the job? Can the job be accomplished? How do I get it? Any help is much appreciated and thanks!

Gaye

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Did you load iTunes onto the new machine? If so then transfer the music from hubby's 'pod to iTunes, then back onto your iPod. Not sure about pictures though, my 'pod just does music.

3. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Chris,
    How do you like the new avatar :smile:

Itunes has made it so we can't upload but can download. That makes it difficult to upload and then download into my Ipod. I guess Ipod is afraid of people sharing.

Thanks again,
    Gaye

4. Hi Gaye,

When I bought my iPOD I thought long and hard about iTUNES and decided against being more or less locked into that program. I insted went with Anapod Explorer

www.redchairsoftware.com/

It gives me the ability to treat my iPOD like a disk drive. Meaning I have a back up of all my songs and photos.

Doug

5. 1) when you connect the ipod containing your stuff to your new computer, do NOT allow iTunes to update that iPod. You should see an alert asking if you want this to happen. Don't let it!

2) if the iPod is mounted on the desktop (you can see an icon for it in Finder windows) you should be able to copy the files from it. You may have to do this from a terminal window, though, if those folders are hidden.

I unfortunately know the "hard" way to do these things so I don't know what if any third party software there is that could do it for you. I would think there is, though.

6. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Thanks Doug and Beezle. Good ideas and I had no idea there was anything like Anapod Explorer.

I'll get going on this. Thanks again,

Gaye

7. Careful connecting the ipod to your new computer

You need to adjust your settings in itune so that you are in manual control of your ipod. If you connect it and you are in autoupdate...the remaining songs on your husbands ipods could be wiped.

Do a search on Version tracker if none of the suggestions so far work for you. There are a couple of utilities that allow you to move your music back onto your hard drive if the ones mentioned above give you any trouble. Also, don't forget to de-authorize your old computer with itunes if you have any purchased music on it. You are allowed to share purchased musice on a limited number and if you get rid of it before de-authorizing you lose one of your shared machines.

Regards,

Paul

8. Well, I am fairly certain auto update is per iPod and can't be turned off without the iPod connected (ugh). The new machine will see the iPod and recognize that it isn't one it has updated. Then it will ask if she wants to update, which of course would wipe out anything she has on it.

GeeJay, if you are still fussing over this tonight, post here again. I can come up with something specific for you to use once I have an iPod in front of me.

9. looks like these guys may be able to help you. I would go to an apple store, saunter right over to the "genius bar" and be proud that I actually had an intelligent question in this one. Good luck!
    Dave

10. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    Someone mentioned the program from RedChair. I haven't used the version for the iPod, but have iRivium for my iRiver mp3 player. I've been pretty pleased with it and the interface is pretty good.

11. I just went through this too....something similiar at least. I recommend copypod (which you have to buy but I think its only like 20 bucks). It works really well. I tried another before it (sorry I forgot the name) but I found it to be very useless. Copypod is the way to go! :biggrin:

12. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

the problem is that Apple trying to be a good citizen tries to prevent people from getting the music off their iPods by not allowing you to take the music off it instead only adding music.
    If you have a Mac, you can use a program called iPod RipiPodRip to rip the music off your iPod onto another Mac.
    This is a very useful program and worth getting.
    This past spring my wife's hard drive went on her Computer and was replaced by Apple and she was upset that she had lost all her music. I put iPodRip on it, connected the iPod and started up iPodRip and copied all her music and playlist back onto her computer for it.
    I am sure there is something like it for Windows, but I don't do Windows.

13. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Thanks to you all for the help with this Ipod problem that I'm facing.

I'm weighing all the options and tomorrow having a computer geek (friend) come over to help.

I can't take a chance on losing the music that's in our second Ipod so am afraid to try your suggestions. (So far I've managed to wipe out my computer Itunes library and also my new Ipod so I have zero confidence in my Ipod talents) I've printed out all your replies and have them ready to go.

Apple certainly makes this a difficult problem but with your help realize now that there are ways to circumvent the issue that music can't be uploaded-just downloaded....

I appreciate your help very much. When I think of all the work I did to copy all my CD collection and also buy some from Itunes it makes me want to cry.. Sure wouldn't want to go through that process again.

Thanks again for your thoughtfulness!

Gaye

14. Gaye, I hope (and believe) it will be okay.

BTW, my black iPod Nano has arrived. It's so cool!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2005