IPTC, EXIF, ???

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Jez, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Jez

Jez

Jun 22, 2005
    UK
    Folks,

Can someone explain to me why I would want to have the EXIF data transferred to the IPTC caption field when I import my photos?

At the moment I'm in a state of blissful ignorance. As per usual.... :shock:

2. jgrove

jgrove

Apr 13, 2005
    Halesowen,UK
    Scripts can extract the info from the IPTC caption field for use in certain programs, some gallery programs use the caption field to read certain data into there databases.

But its use (for me) is limited, hope that helps.

3. Jez

Jez

Jun 22, 2005
    UK
    That's the conclusion I was coming to, but I just wanted to make sure!

Cheers!

4. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

5. Paul,

I like the way you have the EXIF data under your images. How did you do that?

6. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

7. Jez

Jez

Jun 22, 2005
    UK
    Hi Paul,

Thanks for the pointer on this. I had another question lined up (Why doesn't the script just use the standard EXIF data?) but I quick look at the FAQ on Joe's page gave me the answer (you get more data going the IPTC route - like lens info).

Time to download Nikon Transfer..... :wink:

8. JayR

JayR

Jul 6, 2005
    Redmond, WA.
    Anyone know if the EXIF data script can be used on Photoshop Elements 2.0? I don't have CS as I mainly use Nikon Capture.

Thanks.

9. Paul,

Thanks.....I downloaded and the script works fine. The only problem is that I haven't been using Nikon Transfer so some of the data is missing. I'll start using Transfer so I capture all the data.

Thanks again !