1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

IR and D2HS questions

Discussion in 'Night, InfraRed, and UltraViolet Photography' started by TedB, Jul 8, 2008.

1. I've been considering getting into some IR photography over the last year and honestly the photos in this forum have put me over the edge.

I have a couple of questions.

1. Given that I have a D2X and a D2HS, I'd like your opinions if I should or could consider converting the D2HS (probably with LifePixel). The benefit in choosing this body is due to the fact that it shares the same batteries/charger, have similar menus etc, as the D2X and D3(which will eventually be its replacement--once they start appearing on the used market). Plus the D2HS has about 5K actuations....so it still has a lot of life (albeit at 4Mpixels). Or, should I pick up a used D200 and sell the D2HS?? Thoughts??

2. It's my understanding that a lens should be shipped back with the body for calibration. Would a 17-35 work? I know many are using the 18-70(or would this be a better choice?). Very confused here as to what to do.

Thanks for any and all input....and thanks to all for sharing the great pictures in the IR forum.

Ted

2. Getting a camera modified is a fairly permanent thing so be sure that you would want to modify your D2HS. Perhaps a D100 or D70 may be a better choice and less expensive. You could always sell your D2HS. LifePixel calibrates the camera for the 18-70mm lens (at least they did when I sent mine in) at no charge. You can pick up this lens fairly cheaply and there is no need to send it in with the camera body.

3. Thanks Gordon....looking at a D100/D70 would also let me keep the HS for a longer period of time.

Thanks

Ted

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.