IR and flash

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Beezle, Nov 29, 2005.

1. Always looking for new sources of light, my ears perked up when I noticed that Bjorn mentioned flash as a source of IR light. So of course I grabbed my D70, an 87c and gave it a quick try.

50mm @ f1.4, 1/60, random WB, SB800 at 1/2 power. Didn't really try to focus. I'd say it does a great job. Thanks Bjorn!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Am going to convert this camera to IR only when I get a chance so I might be able to focus.

Now I just need a source of UV... I did have a UV curing lamp at one time.

2. nfoto

nfoto Guest

I told you so :biggrin:

Just put your hand in front of the flash when it fires, in case you wonder about IR - notice the blast of heat?

3. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    That is why I used an IR and UV filter when using flash on the D70.:wink:

4. I use a Sunpak 622 flash with an IR head on my IR mod D70. You may be able to finde a used 622. It utilizeds interchangeable flash heads. Works great. I bought a Wein flash adapter for my hot shoe. This allows for connecting the 622 and protects my camera from too much voltage. The results are other worldly, green, and weird. You may want to try it.

5. Wow, never even thought of that.

Does that say the we could use the proper frequency range heat lamp as well? Provide both warmth and illumination for close up photos.

6. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Pure heat isn't photoactinic so won't produce an IR image by itself. But of course, at my current -15 C ambient temperature, the idea sounds great !

7. Beezle...You can do IR and focus. You just focus the subject without the IR filter on the camera and then when you have it where you want it, then you gently put the filter back on and shoot. It worked for me using the Fuji I have and it should work for any camera.

8. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Nice shots - skin tones in IR amaze me, it's so smooth!

I remember seeing an exhibit of nightclub photos taken with IR flashbulbs once at MoPA - very cool stuff. I understand they also make UV flashbulbs, but I'll bet they're hard to find! I've been experimenting with a 110 V, line current, carbon arc as a source for UV, and putting a 'long wave UV filter' (from a mineral 'black light') over it with some interesting results:

[​IMG]
    The effect of UV on skin seems to be the opposite of IR.

[​IMG]

You can get the carbon rods from Vreeland.​

9. That's very interesting.

The other day my youngest brother, a welder, pondered various welding tools as a light source. I was thinking it might be a bit too dangerous. :wink:

10. Yeah, but I want to be able to focus on the move. Hand held.

I am going to try some floral macros, though, using every flash I have (four SB800s) and see how that goes. I can focus carefully for that sort of stuff.

11. I'm looking forward to seeing them Beezle.