IR bonanza

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Beezle, Dec 23, 2005.

1. Trying everything that may or may not spit out IR today now that my D70 has an IR filter on its sensor.

And per the direction that Bjorn set me on, I bought myself an Elinchrom strobe.

Voila! :biggrin: And at less than a third of the strobe's maximum output @f10, too. This is a bare flash tube. I guess I need an IR translucent softbox now. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. For WB, I am using a grey card most of the time, which gives this "almost color" effect. The numbers are usually around 2000K with a tint of -100 or so. I guess pegged at the bottom. The more sepia color you can see in other shots I've taken is WB done with bare flash, then add the NIkon diffuser (SB800).

Auto WB gives deeply red images, and I think distributes the tones in such a way as to loose detail. Not sure though.

I also think WB matters if one cares to have color in these images. Otherwise, whatever gives the best tones. I think I will end up leaning towards black and white for most of these images.

So far as using the camera goes, as I gather it is shoot at around +1.0 EV, and for most shots the histogram does still seem to have relevance. Shooting manually with the strobe, I tried to watch that and not the image.

What you see above is straight out of the camera color wise.

I'm not knowledgable about this stuff at all, but I see that as an advantage. I will try just about anything, and might scare up some interesting results along the way. Knowing something of what is going on is of course useful for knowing what to try, but we have Bjorn for that, don't we? :biggrin:

4. One odd thing in that photograph - see the light wires? Some are white and some dark?

They are all white to the naked eye.

:confused:

I wonder what the difference is. I am wondering because I wonder what would make a good reflector for IR shots. What materials reflect it, vs. absorb it.

5. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

6. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

7. Yes, UV would be fanstastic! I love shooting flowers, and of course therein lies hidden beauty. It is on my list of things to figure out how to do.

One thing I have to keep reminding myself of is that I am using a metering system meant for visible light to expose IR. This is one reason I am playing with flash as it is more controlled.

So far as the change to the camera goes, I installed the filter myself. I do not recommend it. :rolleyes: You can easily maul something along the way. I nearly ruined one of the ribbon cable connectors that was giving me fits.

The change is readily reversable. You can put the stock filter back. But I do not know how many times one could tear the camera down before something is broken. I wish they would make a camera that has ready access to the sensor.

I also wish someone would make a black and white camera. Seems to me they could achieve 20 MP without even trying. I keep hoping Fuji will make one.

8. One of them is HOT:eek: check that it's not too hot with your finger - if it is switch off. IR cameras are used in industry for detecting hot spots in structures etc. There are very practical uses for IR cameras, such as detecting overheating wiring, as well as arty ones.