IR from the mountains...

My wife and I just went for a drive along the Catalina Highway outside of Tucson, AZ. I posted alot of pics (some IR) in the landscapes forum, so for some images, this may be a repeat, but I figured hey, they're IR so I should put them here too. Hope you like them:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

All shot with my D100, my 18-70, and a B+W 093 IR filter.

Let me know what you think.

thanks,

Dave

haven't used the 89B

I don't know. I've only used the 093. I would imagine, though, that the 89B would result in relatively similar results. As I understand it the number refers to the wavelength to some degree. 093 meaning 930 nanometers 89B meaning 890 nanometers. Since both of those numbers are comfortably in the infrared portion of the spectrum. I think red is at about 650 nanometers. However, since I haven't had the opportunity to use the 89B I can't comment on its use. Perhaps another member with some experience with both can chime in.

BTW, you've got some nice IR shots of your own on your website.

Dave

Real Name
Chris
Here are typical transmission curves for the 093 (aka 87c) and 89b filters:

Note the 89b lets more near IR in the range up to about 1200 nm in. This will result in significantly shorter exposures, but it also lets some red light (anythng less than 700nm) through, so photos with the 89b will have more red than those with the 87c (aka 093.) Photos I take with the 89b are quite red.

Here are spectra, so you can see what light gets through. I simulated the 093 spectrum based on the above spectrograph for comparison, but the 89b and white light spectra are real:

(my spectroscope only goes to 850nm, I am unsure what color IR beyond that would appear as in camera.)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom