IR Help / First Attempt

Discussion in 'Night, InfraRed, and UltraViolet Photography' started by Hamel, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Hamel

Hamel

Jan 16, 2007
    Boston, MA
    So I am having a little bit of an issue on the whole IR editing process. I got the steps down in the camera, I believe. I compose, put the filter on (R72), set the wb, and then take the shot. On the viewfinder it comes up brownish and what looks to be correct. However when I upload into photoshop it automatically sets the wb back to being completely red as if I never did the preset wb in camera. Is there anyway around this? Either way, here is my first attempt from earlier this afternoon.

2900245836_2a8c1a4eeb_b.jpg

Thanks,
    Justin

2. just clean up the dust spots and i think you will be set :smile:

3. Hamel

Hamel

Jan 16, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Yeah yeah.... dust spots smush spots. That is what happens when you change lenses in abandoned mine shafts... Anyways here was attempt number two from this evening.
    2902529191_f2edd5bc8e_b.jpg

4. Howdy Hamel

Howdy Hamel,

I'd say your off to a great start.

My images show up red in PS CS also, if you have Nikon Capture NX I really like using that first and then opening them in PS to do anyother work on them like channel swapping and resizing.

You have 2 very nice images, just keep shooting as much as you can. I find that I don't have quite as many keepers as I'd like to, just the tones and different levels are funky.

I do have a modded camera, so that changes things a little but the basics are the same.

Take care,

Craig

5. kwork

kwork

Jun 8, 2006
    NC
    I think you are off to a great start. I assume that if you shoot in RAW, the WB becomes nullified, and you are left with the redish image (that's my best guess).

6. If you only use Photoshop to convert your RAW files, take pictures in JPEG and you will see the real white balance.

Photoshop's raw conversion doesn't have the full range of WB settings to shoot IR properly, Only Capture NX does (that I know of)

7. hellogan

hellogan

Nov 26, 2007
    Chicago
    I really like your images. Very nice compositions in my opinion. May I inquire where you got your R72 filter, what size, and how much was it? Thank you.

8. bikersam717

bikersam717

Aug 2, 2008
    Sonora, Ca
    Looks like your doing great, lovely shots.