1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

IR is harder than it looks

Discussion in 'Night, InfraRed, and UltraViolet Photography' started by TZ250, Aug 24, 2008.

1. TZ250

TZ250

Jul 16, 2008
    Ohio, USA
    Everyone, today I started tinkering with IR. I have a D300, on a Bogen 3033 tripod, and a Hoya R72 IR. I took a picture of the neighbors house, through a window that needs to be cleaned. I tried setting a manual white balance with the IR filter installed. "No good" said the D300. I then set it manually from a piece of white paper and from grass. I couldn't see the difference.

There has been no post processing of these images, other than reducing image size to 800 pixels in width.

Yuck! I need some help!
    DSC_2580_A.
    NIKON D300    ---    75mm    f/4.0    1/640s    ISO 200

DSC_2583_A.
    NIKON D300    ---    75mm    f/4.0    3s    ISO 200

2. You will need to post process, what software do you use to PP your photos?

3. TZ250

TZ250

Jul 16, 2008
    Ohio, USA
    I use GIMP, but I'm not very good with it. So far, I've only used it for basic editing color/B&W combinations. Beyond that, I know nothing of post processing.

Please help! :smile:

4. Here is a very basic rundown using CS3, which you might be able to adapt to GIMP.

I load up my image and make a duplicate layer.

Then adjust my levels to the look I like.

Then open channel mixer and adjust each channel.

Then adjust the Hue/Sat to my liking.

Flatten Image.

Use unsharp mask.

You can take a peek at my pbase link for a few that I did.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2008
  5. I don't have a D300 but get the same results (same filter) with my D200. It works fine with the white balance methods you used with my D70 and D70s. Others may confirm here that because of the sensor/filter in your D300, you won't be able to get the desired effect. I was unpleasantly surprised when this filter didn't work with my D200, getting the "no good" message when reading off the green grass. I don't have CS3.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2008
  6. Tough indeed. If you are serious about infrared, try a converted DSLR. Look for a cheap D100 or D70 and do it yourself or find a used one if possible. Your infrared life will be much easier. Good luck.

7. TZ250

TZ250

Jul 16, 2008
    Ohio, USA
    Joe, thanks for the advice. I'm currently watching a couple of used DSLR's on eBay.

I really had not planned to buy another camera. I've bought three cameras in the last three weeks! :smile:

My recent purchases:
    D300
    F5
    F100

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.