IR questions.

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Mitchell, Oct 18, 2005.

1. I'm interested in trying my hand at some IR pics. I don't want to modify my camera body but would prefer to use a filter. Any suggestions for which filter to buy and which camera to use would be appreciated. I have both a D70 and a D2X.

Thanks.

2. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Use your D70 with a Hoya R72 filter. D2X isn't suited for IR.

3. Agree with the R72. I have a 77mm (pricey) and a 72mm step down ring for the smaller lenses.

I have used it with my D2X, but the exposures need to be longer than with my D100. Up to 4 to 5 seconds in bright light.

4. nfoto

nfoto Guest

By intentional design, D2X is made very non-responsive to IR, so it is a poor candidate for an IR camera :smile: Much better to use D70. The D100 is rumoured to be good with IR as well, but from what I've seen with my own test shooting, its IR performance really depends on the filtration used and the R72 may not be the best option for this camera, the darker Wratten 87 seems superior.

A warning before you stumble across the issue in actual shooting is the occurrence of IR hot-spots. This is a complex issue involving camera, lens, and filtration, so has no general solution. The only "hot-spot" safe lens I know of is the 28 mm f/3.5 Nikkor (non-AI, probably the early AI will also be good).

5. Thanks for the explanation. I had noticed that it was hard to get consistent exposure. Pretty much a guessing game. The individual histogram channels on the D2X seem to help but that may be my imagination.

Here is a D2x shot, 3 seconds at f8, my first attempt at the "color channel swap" method of processing.

http://www.standleyfamily.com/misc/_DSC0584.jpg

6. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Since the IR band comprises nearly 40 % of the sun's radiation, it is impossible to avoid recording IR with any digital camera no matter how hard the designers have tried to filter IR out. It is just a question of allowing a long enough exposure. But that doesn't entail quality IR images, by far. IR images may be rendered with very poor detail and lots of inherent noise, for example. D2X is a good example of this. An exposure of f/8 and 4-5 sec in bright daylight isn't practical for many subjects, especially when you can get by with f/8 and 1/30 sec with another camera under the same conditions.