IR White Balance

Discussion in 'Night, InfraRed, and UltraViolet Photography' started by Little Cub, Jul 13, 2007.

1. Little Cub

Little Cub

Feb 13, 2007
    Vegas, baby!
    Hi Cafe!

I am trying to get nice IR shots and also am trying to create multi-color conversions using the channel swap. How exactly do you get the WB right with a Hoya R72 filter? I usually shoot with WB set to "sunny." Thanks for your help!

Little Cub

2. Find a nice green patch of grass on a sunny day, put the IR filter on, and set your WB off of that.

3. Little Cub

Little Cub

Feb 13, 2007
    Vegas, baby!
    Thanks Jimmy! I will try this out tomorrow and try to post some results. Does this work if I set the WB before placing the filter on?

Little Cub

4. DBrim

DBrim

May 30, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Do it with the filter on, I believe.

5. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    No! To get the classic 'infrared look' you want greenery to be white. So set the white balance to think that green with the filter is white. It'll turn out to be below the temperature of tungsten. If you shoot Raw, you will be able to change it after the shoot.

6. Little Cub

Little Cub

Feb 13, 2007
    Vegas, baby!
    Thanks Daniel and Chris,

It makes more sense to have the filter on, but you never know. :smile: Now all I have to do is find some grass here in the desert! :biggrin: Maybe I will try adjusting the WB on a palm tree. Thank you again for all your help, and I will be posting some images soon for some C&C from you pros!

Little Cub

7. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    A green palm frond should work just fine.

8. bubz

bubz

Jul 5, 2006
    Oklahoma City, OK
    awesome info thanks guys.

9. Brent M

Brent M

Aug 13, 2006
    Chris is correct in the procedure for getting a classic IR look.

But that's not to say that experimenting, or ahem, mistakes, can't be interesting too.

This is an image where because I was in a hurry, I made my custom WB with the filter off. Before black and white conversion it was a pink nightmare, but afterwards I got an image that I like quite a bit.

DSC_8222.

Long story short, don't be at all afraid at trying out different things.