IR Works with Colored Foliage

Discussion in 'Night, InfraRed, and UltraViolet Photography' started by Baywing, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I know IR works for green foliage, but I wanted to see if it had a similar effect with colored leaves. I guess it does, as long as they are still on the tree....
    51918452.HubbardPark_4265.

2. nfoto

nfoto Guest

You would expect pretty much the same as long as the foliage is intact. The "Wood's" effect, giving deciduous trees and grass the bright "IR touch" is not related to chlorophyll at all (it is caused by the internal structures of the leaf anatomy).

However if you shoot IR colour film (the stuff coming in round 36-exposure CF (Canister Film) units), for which just 1/3 of the response is in IR, autumn foliage does give weird changes in colour.

3. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I do remember the color shifts of fall foliage with color IR film, maybe that is where I got the idea that the it had something to do with the status of the leaves. I think I still have a roll of that IR film in the freezer......hmmmmm.

4. This is a really lovely image, I like it.

5. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    Hello,

It is amazing to 'see' what you can not normally 'see'. Puts a perspective on what other creatures might be seeing through their eyes. I think IR looks better than B/W shots. Keep shooting IR!