Iris timelapse in IR

Discussion in 'Night, InfraRed, and UltraViolet Photography' started by Beezle, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Photographed this flower over the last 24 hours in IR. QuickTime movie can be found here, about 10 MB.

Not sure how I feel about it yet. Not sure it works. Overexposed it a bit and should have used the PC lens.

Color shot taken at the end.
    _D218002-web.

2. Beezle, that is just down right neat. Good job. That took some doing.

George.

3. krispee

krispee

Apr 10, 2007
    UK
    looks great to me, a little overexposure is ok i think, as long as it isn`t overdone, and it isn`t here....love the fades in different parts of the flower and the colour is delicate, i think that`s the word...lovely!

would make a really interesting painting actually lol

krispee

4. Beezle, I'm with you on the video. Not sure if the IR works. I like the contrast with the stem in colour, but that contrast doesn't come thru in the IR. Then again, I must admit that I'm biased, I do love colours in flowers and like very few B&W treatments of them.

I do love this photograph - the delicacy of these irises is breathtaking. You certainly do a wonderful job in capturing their beauty.

5. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    wow another one
    this stuff is just to cool:>)))

7. Thanks everyone.

I think it was worth doing. But back to color for me.

One thing I tried that might be interesting to work on is I used a single strobe with a very tight grid in front of it. There was a nice subtle gradient behind the flower that the IR processing destroyed (plus it was chunky) that I think the D2X could pick up.

Also have a new flash on the way to try this weekend.

That flower, by the way, is a double. See how the right side of the stem is bigger? There's another bud in there. I have it sitting on my desk at home with a daylight flourescent over it and a (color) D200 shooting it. I may have cut it too soon for the twin to have enough oomph to pop. Time will tell!

8. AISBLE

AISBLE

Nov 29, 2006
    RI
    I liked it Beezle, color would have been nice as well. Do you mind if I ask how many images it took over the 24hours to put the movie together?

9. Thanks. That was every 3.5 minutes for 24 hours. Just over 400 frames.

I have done color ones as well. They are posted in the macro forum here:

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=110274
    https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=110442
    https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=109306

And there is another one here.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  10. I loved watching this flower open up. Well done series and I personally love the black and white.

11. FishSauce

FishSauce

Aug 10, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Ed,
    Your IR flower time lapse is very cool. I like it

12. Thanks Gordon. Thanks Ben. I appreciate the kind words.

13. JoeG

JoeG

Nov 2, 2006
    Tyrol, Austria
    very cool. I have to try this :)

I like the BW but I would love to see it in color too

14. GoGo

GoGo

Apr 20, 2006
    New York
    Lush

Love it, beauty is hard to capture and easy to enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2007
  15. Trailfinder

Trailfinder Guest

Well, in my opinon, I think that is simply way cool! Good job...

Brad G...
    OKC/OKLA

16. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

amazing really. Finally waited out the download.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2007
  17. Yeah, the D200 and D2X (and I assume D2H series) have built in interval shooting. That, an AC adapter and a good monolight. I just posted another one of these in the macro forum where I tested a new light. Much more consistent frame to frame. Smaller movie too (3 MB).

There are also remotes that can do the same thing. I borrowed one to try with the 5D, for example.

Thanks for the compliments everyone.

18. mcdicky

mcdicky

Mar 10, 2007
    Vancouver
    awww. i like the movie