Iris timelapse in IR

Photographed this flower over the last 24 hours in IR. QuickTime movie can be found here, about 10 MB.

Not sure how I feel about it yet. Not sure it works. Overexposed it a bit and should have used the PC lens.

Color shot taken at the end.
_D218002-web.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Beezle, that is just down right neat. Good job. That took some doing.

George.

looks great to me, a little overexposure is ok i think, as long as it isn`t overdone, and it isn`t here....love the fades in different parts of the flower and the colour is delicate, i think that`s the word...lovely!

would make a really interesting painting actually lol

krispee

Beezle, I'm with you on the video. Not sure if the IR works. I like the contrast with the stem in colour, but that contrast doesn't come thru in the IR. Then again, I must admit that I'm biased, I do love colours in flowers and like very few B&W treatments of them.

I do love this photograph - the delicacy of these irises is breathtaking. You certainly do a wonderful job in capturing their beauty.

Thanks everyone.

I think it was worth doing. But back to color for me.

One thing I tried that might be interesting to work on is I used a single strobe with a very tight grid in front of it. There was a nice subtle gradient behind the flower that the IR processing destroyed (plus it was chunky) that I think the D2X could pick up.

Also have a new flash on the way to try this weekend.

That flower, by the way, is a double. See how the right side of the stem is bigger? There's another bud in there. I have it sitting on my desk at home with a daylight flourescent over it and a (color) D200 shooting it. I may have cut it too soon for the twin to have enough oomph to pop. Time will tell!

I liked it Beezle, color would have been nice as well. Do you mind if I ask how many images it took over the 24hours to put the movie together?

I liked it Beezle, color would have been nice as well. Do you mind if I ask how many images it took over the 24hours to put the movie together?

Thanks. That was every 3.5 minutes for 24 hours. Just over 400 frames.

I have done color ones as well. They are posted in the macro forum here:

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=110274
https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=110442
https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=109306

And there is another one here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lush

Love it, beauty is hard to capture and easy to enjoy!

T

Trailfinder

Well, in my opinon, I think that is simply way cool! Good job...

Brad G...
OKC/OKLA

B

BigPixel

amazing really. Finally waited out the download.

amazing really. Finally waited out the download. You mention a shot every 3.5 mins over 24 hrs. How did you do that? Can you set up your cams to shoot automatically??

Yeah, the D200 and D2X (and I assume D2H series) have built in interval shooting. That, an AC adapter and a good monolight. I just posted another one of these in the macro forum where I tested a new light. Much more consistent frame to frame. Smaller movie too (3 MB).

There are also remotes that can do the same thing. I borrowed one to try with the 5D, for example.

Thanks for the compliments everyone.

Latest threads

Top Bottom