Iris

Real Name
Tony Admana
This is my very first posting of flowers here. A friend of mine got rid of this plant last fall and asked me if I wanted it. I took it not knowing exactly what an Iris looked like. Last night after dinner I went out to yard and discovered this. Grabbed my camera and took a couple of shots.
Shot with 180 2.8 plus kenko TC 1.4, and did a little bit....or maybe too much editing in LR last night as sometimes i get carried away. Let me know what you think.

image-XL.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

image-XL.jpg

Vienna, Virginia (Washington DC Suburbs), USA
Iris are tough to photograph as they have so much going on. Hard to adjust depth of field to get focus and out of focus areas interesting. Also, they tend to be large, and it is difficult to get them interestingly into the frame, parts are out, and it is a tough comp to get well done. I think these critiques apply to #1. Now #2 is very very nice. I would just like it a bit brighter. Those are some beautiful Iris, I wish someone would get rid of theirs to me! :) Nicely done Tony...

Real Name
Tony Admana
Iris are tough to photograph as they have so much going on. Hard to adjust depth of field to get focus and out of focus areas interesting. Also, they tend to be large, and it is difficult to get them interestingly into the frame, parts are out, and it is a tough comp to get well done. I think these critiques apply to #1. Now #2 is very very nice. I would just like it a bit brighter. Those are some beautiful Iris, I wish someone would get rid of theirs to me! :) Nicely done Tony...

Rich,

Thanks for looking and for your honest and valid comments. I will give it another go tonight with the 60mm 2.8 micro. And try to brighten up a bit.

Cheers,
Tony

Real Name
Mike
As Rich said, Iris have so much going on, it's sometimes hard to make them interesting. I think #1 is a little soft but like the composition. The right edge of the flower is cut off. Would have been nice if it wasn't. #2 has three subjects in focus. Makes it hard to focus on one particular flower for me. I love the soft background but find the reds/pinks a bit distracting. I am by no means an expert on this. Just my 2¢.

Real Name
Tony Admana
As Rich said, Iris have so much going on, it's sometimes hard to make them interesting. I think #1 is a little soft but like the composition. The right edge of the flower is cut off. Would have been nice if it wasn't. #2 has three subjects in focus. Makes it hard to focus on one particular flower for me. I love the soft background but find the reds/pinks a bit distracting. I am by no means an expert on this. Just my 2¢.

Mike,

Thanks for the comments. I totally agree on your critiques, and honestly this is the best way for me to learn and improve my shots. BTW, those reds in the background are flowers from another plant. I will take another shot tonight with a different compo and use another lens. I'll repost them on this same thread.

Cheers,
Tony:smile:

Real Name
Tony Admana
Iris part 2

Here's a couple more shots I took early this evening. Again, C&C welcome.

image-XL.jpg

image-XL.jpg

Vienna, Virginia (Washington DC Suburbs), USA
Really like #1 Tony... I might have close the aperture a bit more to get the top bloom in focus more (and the whites seem a little hot)... I like the dark green background, which leads me to the second shot and the lack of pop against the blooms. I am sure others will disagree, but there ya go... I think I have missed every spring bloom this season, so it is wonderful to visit them through other's lenses... Thanks for sharing!

Real Name
Tony Admana
Really like #1 Tony... I might have close the aperture a bit more to get the top bloom in focus more (and the whites seem a little hot)... I like the dark green background, which leads me to the second shot and the lack of pop against the blooms. I am sure others will disagree, but there ya go... I think I have missed every spring bloom this season, so it is wonderful to visit them through other's lenses... Thanks for sharing!

Rich,

Thanks again for looking and for your comments.

Cheers,
Tony

Latest threads

Top Bottom