Iris

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Cabin, Jun 29, 2005.

1. A couple of weeks ago I got advice from this group on purchasing a 70-200vr.
    Since then I've been practicing a lot.

I took this shot just after a rain shower.
    Man I sure like this lens...........

What do you think?

http://www.robertgarner.com/DSC_2832c.jpg

Thanks,

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Bob,

I got an error message when I clicked on your link. Sure would like to see that pic. 8)

Welcome to the Cafe BTW. :wink:

3. Frank,
    I made a change to the link.

Hope it works now.

4. That is a gorgeous image Bob. I use that lens and LOVE it too. I can not think of a single thing that i do not like about it, that goes for both the image you posted and the lens.

5. It does work now! *thumbs up*

That flower has great color and I think you captured it very well. The orange off to the left though distracts me a bit and makes my eye focus on that a bit more than it probably should.

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Bob,

I can see it now and it is a very fine image. I'm sure you must be thrilled with your new lens (the 70-200VR was my first pro glass, and like Dave, I love it). I agree with Elliott that the orange is a little distracting, but I'd rather have the shot with it than no shot. It looks a tad hot on my monitor. You might want to try it with about a 3rd of a stop lower EV comp, but that may just be my monitor calibration. Overall it is excellent. :wink:

7. Great shot Bob, glad to see you're doing justice to the 70-200VR. It's one sweet lens and is my all-round fav. You might want to look at a Canon 500D to marry to it if you really like flowers - turns it into a macro.

8. I like the angle of the image as well as the water droplets. I also like the yellowing edge...nature in the raw. :)

I agree with Sandi, if you get a chance, try a Canon 500D close up filter. It is almost as good as a true macro lens. The DOF created by the 70-200 is hard to beat with any lens.

Just one question, isn't that a lily?

9. patrickh

patrickh

May 4, 2005
    Thousand Oaks
    PS - it's a lily not an iris. Smells completely different - LOL

10. I know, I know,
    My wife come home and mentioned "That's not an Iris....It's a lily.....

So I stand corrected.

What's the really fun part of this hobby?
    Everything you learn.....