Is 6 MP enough?

Went for a walk Monday and was not up to heavy gear so I took my D40 18/135 . Naturally I found some nice ice formations and wished for my FX cameras. Oh well, shoot the pic anyway.

Tues. I sent the file for printing wanting a wall print.

Today, Thurs., I picked it up and I don`t see a darn thing wrong with it. Full frame on 11x14 paper which is around 10x. I do darkroom prints the same size.

No special sharpening, infact none at all, not even capture. A pass thru Define2 NR. was all plus a bit of shadow lightening and a little blue enhancement in the mostly overcast sky.

For me 6mp is enough. But the image quality of my D70 is not good enough; lacking in dynamic range, bad colors etc.

I always did like my D50, same 6mp sensor. Prob safe to say most of us don't really need more then 6mp but it is nice to have room for cropping.

214227965_Gm2Fe-X3.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I will try again

DSC_0040asSmartObject-1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no idea what went wrong. The whole image code appeared and when I hit enter it disappeared. Edit attempt brought it back.
Enter lost it again.

Thanks MIRIA

Seems you answered your own question- 6MP certainly is enough for most applications. Anything past that resolution is only really useful for being able to crop in a lot or for special applications which necessitate it.

I've got a couple 16x20" prints hanging on my office wall. I shot both with an IR-converted D50. They both look great.

We made a 16x20 (cropped to 10x20) canvas print from our D50 also, it looks great even up close.

I made a 20 x 30 and it didn't look so good. So I think that's the limit.

I've been one that always thought 6mp was large enough, 12mp gives you crop room, and anything else is just additional horsepower that might not be needed.

Here's a fun shot I did a long time ago using my D50 (I think that's a 6mp). It's a bit over sharpened, but I still think it's cool. The shot was taken using an 85 F/1.8 with a Nikon close-up adapter filter.

http://bandnuts.com/Forum_Photos/ant/

Hit the plus sign at the bottom of the screen to zoom in or download an edited original (enlarged a touch).

I've been one that always thought 6mp was large enough, 12mp gives you crop room, and anything else is just additional horsepower that might not be needed.

Here's a fun shot I did a long time ago using my D50 (I think that's a 6mp). It's a bit over sharpened, but I still think it's cool. The shot was taken using an 85 F/1.8 with a Nikon close-up adapter filter.

http://bandnuts.com/Forum_Photos/ant/

Hit the plus sign at the bottom of the screen to zoom in or download an edited original (enlarged a touch).

+1

I've been using my D50 (6 mp) for almost 4 years now and I've never been left wanting for more resolution. When I do eventually upgrade it'll be for better AF, metering etc and not for more pixels.

+1

I've been using my D50 (6 mp) for almost 4 years now and I've never been left wanting for more resolution. When I do eventually upgrade it'll be for better AF, metering etc and not for more pixels.

It is so strange that all major camera manufactures, Nikon, Canon etc are competing in this megapixel race that majority of serious shooters don´t really care about.

Idiots!

I went to a workshop here is Austin were the photographer teaching the class knew people were going to talk about the MP issue, so here took a really nice portrait right there is the room with a single light, and adjusted the image quality to simulate (I think, or he switched the crop factor in the D700 he was using) and printed three 16x20 images on the photo printer that was set up in the room, one at 12MP, one at 6 MP and and one at 4 MP. He passed them around the room to let people see the difference. The difference was so small it was no even notice able. To see anything, you had to look extremely close, more closely than anyone would need to when regularly viewing.

It is so strange that all major camera manufactures, Nikon, Canon etc are competing in this megapixel race that majority of serious shooters don´t really care about.

Idiots!

Not really so strange. The masses go for megapixels, and that's what sells. I doubt serious shooters represent the largest chunk of revenue for Nikon.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom