1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Is a 3rd party sharpner really worth it ?

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by Cream, Mar 28, 2007.

1. Cream

Cream

Mar 18, 2006
    Bournemouth, UK
    People will probably disagree with me, but I have been having a hard time telling the difference between Nikon Capture NX and Focal Blade in respect to the sharpening.
    I have sharpened in the raw editor and saved to JPG, I have then used an unsharpened JPG and applied Focal Blade to the image.
    Looking at the two images side by side, at 100%, 200% and 300% I cannot see anything different in using the standard settings.
    When I go into the expert mode of focal blade, and play around with the various sliders, I can see a difference, but to my eye I am not sure if the image is then oversharpened ! Matter of opinion I suppose
    I think what I am really after is people's opinions, for settings, other 3rd party applications and at the end of the day is there a significant difference in the final print????
    I use Qimage, which can sharpen, I assume that this should be switched off ????? Or should I just use Qimage to sharpen my images ? If So which setting ???
    So many questions !!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.