Is A Bigger Camera Better?

yes, we are now reaching the inflection point where digital technology is no longer simply replacing film on a like for like list of functionalities but offers its own features and benefits, as demonstrated in the last minutes of the Samsung video, once they have busted the "bigger is better myth".

pretty entertaining. I remember reading some years ago about how the American public equated weight with quality and how the makers of some tape decks would glue weights inside the case just because of that perception.

Real Name
Doug
I am embarrassed to admit that my initial reaction to the lenses for my m4/3 camera was, "They want how much for this dinky little thing?" For instance, the Oly 45 f/1.8 feels like a toy. I half expected it to have Hasbro silk-screened on it someplace. But it is as good as any lens I've used. A lifetime of habit, experience and expectation is hard to overcome.

I'm the designated photographer at our departments christmas party. Not full time, just grabbing some shots when the opportunity arises.

Last year I had by far the best shots. Did I get my hands on a night-vision D4? A Canon 1D equipped with an f/.95 lens?

Nope. A V1 with it's tiny, tiny POS flash. People didn't even notice I had a camera with me and if they did they didn't take it serious anyway.

The technology behind the lens is important. But improving what's in front of it is even more important. The V1 isn't that great image quality wise, but makes up for it with the opportunities offered to take great pictures.

I am embarrassed to admit that my initial reaction to the lenses for my m4/3 camera was, "They want how much for this dinky little thing?" For instance, the Oly 45 f/1.8 feels like a toy. I half expected it to have Hasbro silk-screened on it someplace. But it is as good as any lens I've used. A lifetime of habit, experience and expectation is hard to overcome.

I remember unboxing my EM5 and marveling at how small and light it was, and hoping I hadn't made a big mistake.

Cute ad, but when it comes to cameras, bigger is better. I love the fun factor of my u4/3 gear, but when I want something to frame, I reach for my d700.

DSC_5952%20mr.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Great shot Frank! :smile:
I figure FF DSLRs will hold their ground until Sony starts building upon their RX1 concept with interchangeable lenses.... :cool:

Thanks, Panther, Mike. The d700 and 85/1.4 are a combo that's hard to beat.

Frank,

That's a beautiful shot there. The mirrorless cameras have come a long way, but I agree that for keepers, there's just a little something extra in the look of photos from an FX camera that I don't see with the croppers, especially mFT. I can't describe it well, but the mFT photos always look a bit crunchy, while the FX files have a smoothness and richness, even at web sizes. It may come down to processing, but I feel like I can almost always tell what rig you used for a photo when you post. And no, it's not just a depth of field thing. Heck, maybe it's more the lenses than the cameras, I dunno.

I've been using my NEX and adapted lenses for the most part lately due to convenience. But a couple nights ago, my wife released me from my fatherly duties for an hour to go and shoot a vineyard down the street that I've always wanted to photograph in good light. I have to say it felt so good to shoot methodically with my D600, big fat heavy metal Zeiss lenses, and honking tripod. So much of what I do now is grab stuff, it felt great! And this in spite of the fact that a huge insect got trapped between my heel and flip-flop, only to meet it's squisy demise leaving me to scrape bug guts and legs off of my foot in the field. I can't wait to get some time to process everything.

Great story, Matt. I'll never wear flip-flops outdoors again. :Teeth: I hope to see your vineyard shots.

there's just a little something extra in the look of photos from an FX camera that I don't see with the croppers, especially mFT.

Are you postulating an indirect correlation between sensor size and crunchiness? It makes sense. How crunchy is your NEX6? I checked one out last week, and it's a pretty slick package.

Latest threads

Top Bottom