Is a CD burned on a MAC, readable on a PC?

For example if I burn a series of images on CD/DVD disc, using my MAC, would someone else be able to open the images on a PC computer?
I prefer Macs, but the majority of people seem to have PCs.
I don't want to sell a disc, they can't open. I don't want to buy a PC either.

Thanks

Yes, by default all CDs are burned with the ISO9660 filesystem. You can format a CD with another filesystem, but you'd have to try to do it.

Paul

yes.....as long as the disk is FINALIZED to be read on all systems....... i do not remember the exact wording and each buring software is a bit different in the wording but that is the gist of it............it all comes down to the FINALIZATION OF THE BURN...............

Simple answer, yes!!:biggrin:
I burn CD's for clients all the time and have had only one complaint in a year!! And that was their issue!!:biggrin:

Thanks very much. I'm glad to hear this. I certainly didn't want to buy another (gasp) PC...just to burn images for clients. :smile:

I recently created a disk image of a CD I can read on both my PC and Mac but after I burned the image on the Mac I couldn't read it on my PC. So what is the best way to copy a disc on the Mac using standard or free software?

I recently created a disk image of a CD I can read on both my PC and Mac but after I burned the image on the Mac I couldn't read it on my PC. So what is the best way to copy a disc on the Mac using standard or free software?

So you just want to duplicate a CD? If it didn't work in the PC the first time around, a copy probably won't help -- but, you can duplicate a CD using OS X's Disk Utility, instructions here. There are software programs that make this easier, but this uses OS X's native features.

It is all in the Finalization process................

It is all in the finalization of the burning process....and there should be in your software a question of some sort .....asking......for this computer (system) only...... for all computers...........each with its own tic box.......but as I said previously.....it is in the finalization process that decides if it will play only in the originating computer or all computers or players.......same with music...must be finalized for all players..........

If your burning software doesnot give you the option mentioned above...get rid of it because if your computer crashes and you replace....even with same brand and model and all...it will not play the disks that are burned on the original computer.....it burns a code into the disk that identifies the computer............

It is all in the finalization of the burning process....and there should be in your software a question of some sort .....asking......for this computer (system) only...... for all computers...........each with its own tic box.......but as I said previously.....it is in the finalization process that decides if it will play only in the originating computer or all computers or players.......same with music...must be finalized for all players..........

If your burning software doesnot give you the option mentioned above...get rid of it because if your computer crashes and you replace....even with same brand and model and all...it will not play the disks that are burned on the original computer.....it burns a code into the disk that identifies the computer............

Art, it sounds like you use a PC, the Mac system works nothing like this and has no finalisation. Mac does have verification and as I have stated earlier burning on a Mac using the OS "burn" is fine!!
Kees, I just dump the contents of the CD I want to copy into a folder on the desktop and burn from there - save a burn folder if you want to burn multiple CDs. It's all worked for me for 15 years!!

So you just want to duplicate a CD? If it didn't work in the PC the first time around, a copy probably won't help -- but, you can duplicate a CD using OS X's Disk Utility, instructions here. There are software programs that make this easier, but this uses OS X's native features.

I can read the original CD on both my PC and Mac. And I've used that specific set of instructions to copy the CD as I'm still a Mac newbie.

Kees, I just dump the contents of the CD I want to copy into a folder on the desktop and burn from there - save a burn folder if you want to burn multiple CDs. It's all worked for me for 15 years!!

I will try that just to see if I can get it to work.

Latest threads

Top Bottom