Is AF Fine Tune worth it?

It can be if you know what your doing. Honestly I have not used it and dont really see a need. I was tempted but unless you have significant AF issues I dont see the need. I certainly have not needed it.

I use a combination of AF-Fine tuning and a boost in the in-camera sharpness level to get amazing shots from my Tamron 17-50. So, yes, it's worth it - if you pay close attention to what you're doing.

For me it is not. The value of fine tuning needed for a particular lens is not the same at every focusing distance. For example, my 85/1.4D would need +3 at 2 meters, -4 at 5 meters and +2 at 10 meters. Since I can only store one value for a particular lens, I would need a printed fine tuning table and would have to enter a new tuning value before every shot. This is just a prime lens, it gets more complicated with zoom lenses, because I'd need different tuning values for different zoom settings.

After playing a while with my lenses I turned AF fine tune off.

I can see how it would be helpful if you know what you are doing. That being said, I feel its not worth it for me. Being within driving distance to Nikon El Segundo, if a lens is not focusing properly I take it in.

Depending on the lens it can really improve things, but really only on fast (F/2.8 and wider) lenses. IME the effect of AF fine tune is diminished after around F/3.5 and pretty much negligible after F/5.6 - obviously because the DoF is greater and masks most focusing errors.

As a poster above stated the focusing error can change depending on the focusing distance, but if you've got a lens that's way out, like my 50mm 1.8 was (needed +15), you can use the AF fine tune to bring it to a good average.

.... I would need a printed fine tuning table and would have to enter a new tuning value before every shot.....

holy cow! .... i'd never considered that before. it makes sense, but that's hard to imagine that a lens could have that degree of variability. how did you manage to figure out that you needed to test at all the different focal lengths?

-richard

....Being within driving distance to Nikon El Segundo, if a lens is not focusing properly I take it in.

well, i've learned something new. i'm just down the road in san diego and i travel to el segundo periodically. that's really good to know about their facility there. thanks.

-richard

... how did you manage to figure out that you needed to test at all the different focal lengths?

-richard

After I fine tuned my AF-S 28-70 f/2.8 lens using 70 mm setting and a good target at 2 meters I started to feel that most of my shots were worse than before. So, back to testing.

I agree with a previous poster, that when a lens is constantly off and needs a same kind of correction at all focusing distances, like +5 at 2 meters, +15 at 5 meters and +10 at 10 meters, it would be beneficial to dial in something like +5 (maybe even +7). In this case all shots will be sharper than before. Of course Nikon can calibrate the lens in these cases.

I do not remember ever any of my Nikkor lenses requiring focus calibration. Strong words, I know.
The last lens I bought was the 18-105 VR kit lens and I tested its focus at 18mm, 50mm and 105mm and it was right on. Barrel distortions at 18mm and pincushion that I could hardly notice at 105mm yes, but focus right on.
I agree with the other members that suggested Nikon repairs for a lens requiring focus calibration. If near a repair station, surely my camera is going also.

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

I check my lenses that have a very shallow dof on FX, i.e. 85mm f/1.4 d. Here, back/front focus is not a good thing. Same goes for my 600 VR and 400 VR f/2.8 close to their MFD where DOF again is very thin. TC's tend to make the DOF thinner. My 85 1.4 looks great with +10 on my D3.

In a word, yes. I have had several lenses that have benefited greatly from fine-tuning. Including my currect 50 1.4G (-4) and 24 2.8 (-11)

so are there others who have noted that AF-fine tune would actually need to have different values depending on subject difference (at least for primes)? i'd never really thought about it, but i suppose it could make sense. i'd just assumed that a single setting would accurately adjust your lens for all focal distances (much less zoom settings).

does the AF-fine tune work with just the new AFS lenses? or can it work with the screw-drive AF lenses also?

-Richard

It really does vary from lens to lens and can be a big headache to figure out if you need fine tune or not sometimes, especially with zooms. But for example, with my 600 VR and TC-20EIII I get such bad backfocus that even maximum fine tune can't fix it.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom