1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Is anyone noticing more dust on the D700 sensor?

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR Forum' started by rogein@sympatico.ca, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Compared to my D300 and previous DX Nikons I've owned I seem to be getting dust and 'crud' more often on my D700 sensor. Not sure if this is luck of the draw for having a larger surface area or?

I use the Visible Dust 1.0x swabs and their VDust solution. Seems to work but does require more than a single go at it. Would like to hear what others use to clean their D700 sensor.

Roger...

2. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    I've noticed it too, Roger. I've had to use my rocket blower twice now. Oh well, it's not bothering me too much :smile:

3. Rob T

Rob T

Aug 27, 2008
    SoCal
    No issues here, and I've change lenses quite a bit. Haven't even had to use the sensor cleaner yet.

4. vinman

vinman

Nov 15, 2006
    Upstate SC
    I've noticed that now that I HAVE a dust removal system, I'm using it periodically. I haven't noticed any more dust accumulating within the mirror box, though...

5. Yep definitely more dust in images than with the D300... Not horrible, but more dust... I don't think I have had to clone out a dust spot ever with the D300, but have had several in my first month with the D700... Not sure if this means the dust shaker is working well, or not though as I have no comparison... I know that my shaker-free D200 was far worse than my D300, and my KM 5d was really bad...

6. Leif

Leif

Feb 12, 2006
    England
    It might be that it came ready supplied with dust in the sensor chamber, or excess lubricant on the shutter mechanism. I found that giving the mirror chamber a thorough clean - not touching the mirror of course - helped keep my D200 relatively dust free.

7. I (perhaps ignorantly) have mine set to clean at startup. The only disadvantage to that (I think) is to make sure the camera is upright and somewhat level when I turn it on. I figure it's there so why not use it......are there any concerns about using it all the time???

8. Normally a 'dry' clean using the self cleaning mode or my Visible Dust brush does the trick. 'Excess' lubricant was my first thought as my sensor seems to need an actual 'wet' clean more often than with previous Nikons I've owned.

I do remember reading reports of the D3 shutter sputtering excess lubricant on it's sensor. Don't know how much truth there is to that.

9. Not seeing any sign of dust on mine in any images with multiple lens changes.

I never rarely go past f/11 anyhow, but my skies are dust bunny free.

10. the sensor is bigger... and CMOS sensors are well-known to attract more dust
    it's expected... i've had the same problem with my D3

11. Mine came equiped with factory dust bunnies. I had to rocket blow the sensor (camera cleaner didn't work) before I took shot number 10.... No issues, the dust blew right off, but I thought it was weird to see dust so soon.

12. AdamJ

AdamJ

Jan 28, 2008
    Aurora, IL
    Interesting... As I've had LESS dust spots show up on my D700 then I did on my D300 by at least a factor of 2. The D300 was good on dust, but the D700 seems alot better.

I've got around 100 lens changes on the D700 and still have no need to wet clean (or use a sensor blower).

Taking a 'dust' photo at f/22 doesn't really show anything, unless you boost the levels to extremes. I usually don't attempt any cleaning unless I'm getting spots to show up without changing the levels around.

For what its worth I have the camera set to auto-clean on both startup and shutdown.

13. I have mine set to auto clean as well, and have no issues. (with the D300 or D700) My D80 on the other hand....I was cleaning it all the time.

14. mb3k

mb3k

Feb 4, 2007
    Calgary
    I've had no problems with dust with my D700. Multiple lens changes, dusty room, no dust.
    The setting on the D700 is not set to auto clean either.
    With my D80, I've only had one instance of stubborn dust particles that didn't want to come off even after 4 or 5 hand blower rounds.

15. grepmat

grepmat

May 5, 2008
    USA
    My D700 came new with pre-installed dust - no fuzzies, but several small and rather opaque spots. After the initial scan, I turned on auto-clean. This certainly did not fix things right away. Since then, I've been trying hard not to look for it, as I really want to hope it won't be a big bother.

My old D70 seemed pretty bad, with dust that was rather stubborn. My D200 seemed better over-all; dust came and dust went (on its own). Images needed spotting from time to time, but on average it wasn't a huge problem.

With the DX cameras, I typically shot at f/5.6-f/8. With FX, I'm more typically at f/8-f/11 to compensate for depth of field and corner issues. This could worsen dust problems, but on the other hand the D700's pixel density is lower by roughly the same amount.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.