Is anyone unhappy with their Tokina 11-16 f/2.8?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by pacent, Sep 8, 2008.

1. pacent

pacent

Dec 18, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    I have a really bad itch to pick up a UWA lens. I've been looking at the Nikon 12-24 f/4, but the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 seems to be better in every way, and even if Nikon brings out a comparable lens as fast as the Tokina, its likely going to be at least double the price.

With that said, this is going to be my first non-Nikon glass. I've shot with a couple borrowed Sigmas and Tamrons, but never owned any due to just splurging a bit more for the Nikon glass. I've read plenty of horror stories of bad Siggy's and other 3rd party lenses. Anyone really unhappy with this Tokina? I know this a is relatively lens, and there hasn't been a ton released, but I have not heard of anyone receiving a bad copy.

2. pacent

pacent

Dec 18, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    I suppose having no posts in here is a good sign. Going to be ordering mine sometime this week :smile:

3. kgill

kgill

Jul 25, 2007
    Europe
    there are a bunch of threads on this lens lately here on the forum if you scroll through the last few pages of Lens Lust, you can find them.

4. The only negative to my 11-16 is sometimes I'll unknowingly bump the manual overide ring and lose a shot or two. Lens is worth every penny and then some........

Cheers

Ted:smile:

5. Ha, glad to see someone else did that as well. At first I thought the lens was broken. Then someone sitting next to me asked if there was a manual switch that I might have hit. Duh!!!! Clicked the ring back and it worked fine.

6. Norm

I found some rubber bracelets my kid picked up at a fair. These are given away as promo's and have the business name printed on them. I fliped it so it's all black outside and am using it to hold the focus ring in the forward position. Works well and it was a free fix...

Cheers

[​IMG]

7. Timmy B

Timmy B Guest

I don't have any complaints with mine :)

Best wishes,

Timmy B

8. kgill

kgill

Jul 25, 2007
    Europe
    is your manual focus ring that easy to move??? mine takes effort so no bumping it by accident...

9. There is a noticeable detent with the ring but I probably bump the ring when it's placed or removed from the bag. I've missed some critical shots by not checking first.........

Cheers

10. Guess I'll have to be on the lookout for a rubber band.

I think the ring was moved when I was getting into a small (4 seats) plane and handed it to the guy seating in the far seat to hold for me while I pulled myself up and wiggled my way into the last seat. Either he moved it or I did in the handing back and forth. During normal operation I never had a problem.

11. Norm

If you can't find a decent band shoot me a PM and I'll mail you an extra I have........

Cheers

12. jStat

jStat

Dec 11, 2007
    Janesville, WI
    My 11-16mm is terrible at moving subjects @ f/2.8.
    I had a ton of issues with backfocusing, and I still do, with my D80. I have better luck with my D300, although not always; not sure why.
    A Tamron 11-18mm on my D80 turned out magnificent, however. THAT is frustrating.

At this point, I have no idea what to do with it.

Maybe I'll get rid of my D80 and get a D70. LOL!

13. primoz

primoz

Aug 25, 2008
    Willoughby, Oh
    I bought a D80 with the intension of building up my glass collection and the 11-16 was going to be one of my next purchases. I haven't heard of this being an issue before with the D80, but this still makes me a little uneasy. Has anyone else had similar results or has this issue been documented elsewhere?

14. jStat

jStat

Dec 11, 2007
    Janesville, WI
    Primoz -

Not sure if this is just an issue with my particular D80 or what. I'm going to the camera shop today to experiment with another one.

It just seems to do it when either I or my subject is in some sort of motion, for the most part.

15. rsirota

rsirota

Aug 6, 2008
    New Lenox, IL
    How about posting some images from this lens...

16. pacent

pacent

Dec 18, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  17. rsirota

rsirota

Aug 6, 2008
    New Lenox, IL
  18. There are 4 things about the Tokina 11-16 which bother me sometimes:

1. The zoom range is pretty small. But then again, one should be aware of this coming in, so this doesn't really count.

2. At 11mm, it doesn't take much of a filter to cause vignetting (e.g. my B+W Kaesemann circular polarizer). Hence, you have to either zoom in or crop, thereby losing some of the benefit of shooting at 11mm.

3. The Sigma 10-20 goes down to 10mm and it takes a thicker filter to cause vignetting (e.g. my circular polarizer alone will not cause vignetting, but that plus a Singh Ray Mor-Slo ND filter will).

4. The minimum focus distance is a bit larger than the Sigma's.

Having said that, the build and image quality of this lens is fantastic. I also really like the clutch MF ... I think it is far superior to a switch.

19. jStat

jStat

Dec 11, 2007
    Janesville, WI
    I'm going to revive this thread. Why? Because I experimented with the local store's bodies with my 11-16mm.

Seems that their D80 also backfocuses with it. My D300 does not.

Perhaps the 11-16mm is not calibrated for certain cameras? Or are the cameras calibrated differently in their AF ranges?

20. Jon Neely

Jon Neely

Sep 1, 2008
    Fresno, Ca