Is Big Red a Swainson's Hawk? (3 photos)

Discussion in 'Birds' started by cajun angel, Jun 21, 2007.

1. thanks Gary and thanks Lou! Looks like I got me a new birdie! Guess I better change his name too! he may not like me calling him Big Red! LOL! Thanks!!!!!!!

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Fascinating.....:smile:

3. Isn't it! Goes to show ya, I got lots to learn about my birdies! WHOOHOO! I double checked after Lou mentioned it and yeppers, I got a new birdie! Now gotta rename him/her! :rolleyes::redface::biggrin:

4. That is cool, Dianne. Nice new shot.

Thanks for the info Gary, I am very very slowly starting to pick up on some of the birds.

5. Lou actually alerted me to it! I then started searching frantically for my past photos and comparing them to my bird book and DUH! I should have been able to see the marked difference! I asked gary for a 2nd opinion and about all I can say is I'm excited as all get out now! I got a new birdie! WOW! He/she's a pretty one! Now gotta rename him/her! :rolleyes::redface::biggrin:

6. Oh, good, I'm glad you've now got a positive ID! Swainson's Hawk, eh? Well, you can call him/her "Swainey!" LOL!

7. Congrats on an awesome bird Dianne, and a couple of beautiful shots too! Your third pic is a Cooper's Hawk though btw.

8. LOL, that's a good one! Swainey! I like that!

Oh no, not another booboo! :redface: I'm beginning to wonder if I'm ever gonna learn my birdies! Makes me wonder if I ever got a redtail at all! LOL, Thanks for clearing up another mess!

9. Red tail hawk, right!?

Okay, this photo was taken shortly after I got my D50 through a very dirty and scratched up patio door.

230111401_256bb50e50_b.

10. Don't sweat it! You "call it" in your head when you take the shot, then never give it a second thought sometimes, I'm kinda famous for that around here! I've called Red-shouldered Hawks, Sharp-shinneds, I've called Western Sandpipers, Dunlin.
    Even my recent find of a Red-necked Phalarope, I told a few passersby that it was a Wilson's simply beacause I was so focused on trying to get good shots of it. Of course, while I was sitting alone in marsh grass getting wet, it slowly came to me, ".......hey......that really looks like a Red-necked Phalarope!......DOH!!! " :biggrin:

11. Yep, that last one is a Red-tail!!

12. HI Tom I sure would like to see the tail on the third one before a call was made as both the immature Cooper and Sharpshined look the same but for size and tail. So Dianne you have to get some more photos for us of the tail:wink::wink:
    Lou

13. Ya'll can count on it! I"ll do my best! I'm even thinking about calling to see who owns the land and try to get permission to set up my blind. I guess I got too close to the tree yesterday because Swainey flew and didn't come back to the tree before I left the field. This is too exciting and too much fun! Yeppers, I'll have more pics!:cool::biggrin:

14. Actually, those nice brown tear drop markings are a good giveaway for a Cooper's. A juvenile Sharpie would be more of an orangish color and the marking would be a more washed and scattered, not neat teardrops. Don't mean to highjack Dianne's thread but ID stuff is always a worthwhile discussion.

"older" juvie Sharp-shinned
    http://www.pbase.com/boidpikchas/image/52053365

juvie Cooper's
    http://www.pbase.com/boidpikchas/image/77808591

15. Well done Dianne. It must be great to have such variety. We mostly see red tails here.

16. Thanks James! I'm still in awe! I've been on the phone this morning and trying to find out just who owns the property. I'd like to get permission to set up my blind, but at the same time, it makes me nervous to do it. I'm also gonna call one of our local experts and talk with him. I can't blieve how fun, exciting, and just downright adventurous this is! WOW! I can say I did see a red tail right after I had bought my D50. That big birdie landed on my backyard fence and I barely got a photo of him/her through my patio door! I'll never forget that!