Is Breakfast Being Served?

Discussion in 'Birds' started by 60hokie, May 16, 2007.

1. We have a Canadian Goose with a broken wing that has been in the lake behind our house for about two years now. My wife will throw bread out for him/her almost every morning. Apparently he/she has passed the word around. This morning around 6:30, this was the view from our bed room.

large.

2. IMHO, I think "your" goose would be better fed if you purchased some grain, like wheat or oats. Maybe supplemented with some wild bird seed that is coated with vitamins, minerals and trace elements.

Yes, the "word" does get out quickly whenever the is easy pickin's food wise. I think my wife has fed 6 or more generations of doves, sparrows, blue jays since we moved into our house in 1995.

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    That is just to cool

Yep feed some good food:>)))

4. Looks like you have the spot for it.

5. No white bread allowed in the house. Whole wheat, oatmeal & multigrain only. The goose seems to like them, he keeps coming back.

We are lucky, right now there about 10 Rosies, 16 Wood Storks, about 20 ergets of all sizes, a couple herons and the goose in the lake.

Thanks for the comments.

6. Your a good guy Sam feeding the birds. Hope that Canada does not have Celiac Spru disease, (Allergic to wheat and gluten):biggrin: :biggrin:
    Lou

· WHAT DO CANADA GEESE EAT? · on land - grasses, marsh grass, berries, seeds
    · in water - pond plants, tubers, roots, algae
    · also feed on crops like clover, alfalfa, wheat, rye, corn, barley, oats and grain left in farmers' fields after the harvest

http://www.saskschools.ca/~gregory/animals/cg/cg6.html

7. Bolts

Bolts

May 7, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    How about a bowl of Grapenuts with a sliced up banana on top and some skim milk?

Looking forward to the Free Food at Sam's House word spreading, so we can get a photo of 10 Rosies, 16 Wood Storks, about 20 ergets of all sizes, a couple herons and the goose all standing on your deck together and peeking in your sliding glass door.

Pia