1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Is David Busche's D300 book and Magic Lantern D300 DVD any good?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by wgilles, Aug 31, 2008.

1. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    I just got my D300 a couple days, upgraded from a D80 and I'm a little overwhelmed. I was thinking of picking up David Busche's D300 Field Guide and/or the Magic Lantern D300 DVD. Has anyone used these and have any reviews on them?

2. Can't speak about the D300, but I have both the Field Guide and Magic Lantern DVD for the D80. The Field Guide is an excellent reference guide, and I found that the DVD was very useful during the first few weeks of ownership, when all of the camera features were new to me.

3. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    Thanks. That Elite Video is a little expensive. I downloaded Tom Hogan's guide and have been reading that and it's very good. I think I might just pick up the DVD to actually "see" stuff. I think Tom's guide will be good reading material.

4. I enjoyed the Field Guide...long and very in-depth.

5. lr0868

lr0868

May 25, 2008
    henderson, nv
    I love David Busches D300 book, well laid otu and easy to understand.

6. YOu downloaded what?! isnt that stuff illegal to brag about:eek: 

7. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    David's publications are very good, you will never go wrong with his guidance. David's book will show you how to get the most out of your new camera body.

8. Another recommendation for David's book on the D300. I only wish I would have had it in hand last December when I was sinking under the weight of moving from a pointnshoot to my first DSLR.

9. tektite

tektite

Jan 23, 2006
    SE NH
    I have David's D300 book and it is well worth the price. Great learning tool.

Gary

10. Me too. It is very comprehensive with illustrations to help you at every (Almost) step.

11. Ron H

Ron H

Jul 5, 2005
    Phoenix
    I have David Busch's book, and can give it a very high recommendation. It's full of excellent explanations and tips.

12. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    I picked up Bush's book today, so far it's pretty good.

13. Wail

Wail

Aug 14, 2007
    Saudi Arabia
    Seeing that two guides come well recommended ... which of the two are better, if I may ask, Tom Hogan's guide or David Busch's?

14. I think David is a great writer PERIOD! I have his Field Guides for both my D50 and D200 - they're easier to read and understand than the other one.

15. I'm very happy with Busches book. May have considered Hogan but I don't feel like reading on my puter. I wanna read in bed, at the kitchen table, on the......

glenn

16. Ya know he gives permission to have it printed! It's about $52 at Kinkos - that's how much it cost me for my D200 ebook and then they'll punch it for a 3-ring binder. Now I can read it, highlight, and if something important needs to be seen in color, I can print it out on my own computer.

17. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    There is a thread on here about people having problems getting it printed. My local store wanted 86 bucks. I need to go through the chapters and pick out the info I want printed to save some dollars.

18. david7703

david7703

Mar 27, 2008
    melrose ma
    Dave's book is $20 at amazon, which i think is a great deal. It's easy to read, and has excellent pictures of the menus and screens he's refers to, and has good examples too. I use it as a reference all the time. I highly recommend it.

Regards,

David

19. Well, maybe I was just lucky? I didn't have any problems. They printed out 750+ pages for $52.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.