Is External GPU Worth it?

Is there some benefit in using an external GPUs for photo editing? I am using an old IMac (27 inch, late 2012), 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675MX 1 GB or just need to upgrade to 2019 iMac with a Radeon Pro Vega 48 w/ 8gb HBM2 memory? Sound opinions is greatly appreciated.

Oh, I would also move this to the Mac forum. There are many PC users here and the answer for a Mac may be different than for a PC.

A new Mac will have faster specs and a new SSD drive will read and write much quicker.

Thanks for chiming in Allan, I believe you are right about eGPU's are geared towards Video editing and gamers. I was trying to speed up some plug-ins ( Denoise AI, Sharpen AI and DXO PL3) used in Lightroom and Photoshop. I just don't want to invest in a new iMac or PC at the moment for faster processing, as I am suspecting my Graphics card is about to fail on me.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Thanks! How do i change it manually? I would like to learn...
Go to File/Preferences.
The Reset button makes it repeat the automatic test to decide which to use, or you can just turn on or off the Enable discrete GPU setting.

1584749609919.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Latest threads

Top Bottom