Is fast glass necessary? Or ae high ISO's "good enough"? Steve Perry's answer....

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Butlerkid, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    So many of the popular cameras have increasingly higher usable ISO. AND popular lenses are slower with apertures of f5.6 and slower.

So is fast glass obsolete? Especially given it's weight and price?

Here is Steve Perry's opinion.....FWIW.....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. I couldn't agree more with Steve Perry's opinion on this matter.

Glenn

3. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Agreed. There is NO free lunch. I particularly notice the DOF is not as "creamy" (and is often a bit busy) when shooting f5.6 glass. I haven't noticed the lessening of dynamic range as much, since I watch my historgram, especially if I value the shadows or highlights, and expose accordingly. Thus it's not often I need to significantly adjust areas in post.

Although I have to be careful. Steve is causing me to lust for the 600mm!!!!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. I thought Steve gave a thoughtful and reasoned answer to the question. Now if only I could afford a 800mm F5.6 or a 600 F4 lens...

Cheers,
    alexis and Georgie Beagle

"mom I hid the credit cards till the NAS passes..." - Georgie Beagle

5. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    yep, Big yes from me and the other caveat is it is always better to be closer and or also have big glass, Cropping can only do so much. Shooting through more air at smaller subjects creates more “atmospheric blur”. More pixels on subject always helps.

Thanks for sharing Karen!

6. I'll also join in with a complete agreement with Steve's article. The entire article is a very good read.

7. yep, there's a reason big glass costs so much...

And Karen - you know you need that 600 f4. :devil:;)

8. I told you to buy the 600, remember? I also agree with Steve, however with my advancing age, I WILL be first on the pre-order list for a 600 PF should Nikon release one(y)

9. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    The current 600mm FL weighs the same as my 500mm/f4 I'm hauling all over the place!!!! I said I was going to sell my 500mm after my last trip, just haven/t committed to the many, many thousand dollars it will take to replace it! LOL! And my 500mm is so dang sharp, I hate to give it up!

10. kilofoxtrott

kilofoxtrott European Ambassador Moderator

Dec 29, 2011
    Tettnang, Germany
    Send it to me, Karen.
    I'll depose it without any costs for you... ;):sneaky::whistle:

About your question: Not necessary - but it makes it easier :D:D:D

Kind regards
    Klaus

11. gryphon1911

gryphon1911

Mar 20, 2017
    Central Ohio
    Andrew
    Wow!!! Thanks for sharing that. I was under the assumption that there were no sensible bloggers out there anymore. Thanks for pointing one out!!!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  12. Great read - just affirms my commitment to using the fastest glass I can afford for what I shoot the majority of the time...

13. Yeah, exactly. His is not a click-bait site, but rather a well reasoned, data driven one. He's not sold his soul to sponsors.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Initially I bought fast primes because my f2.8 zooms were too slow (aperture-wise) for a lot of my available light shooting. Nowadays the zooms are just fine, but I still love my fast primes for subject isolation.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.