Is fungus more prevalaent in third-party lenses?

I've read some of the threads here about fungus. I used to own a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 Di lens, and it did have a tiny spot of fungus that I honestly think was a critter that moved:). My well-aged Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 HSM EX has a couple teeny areas on the glass inside the lens. In both cases, the IQ didn't seem affected but I never really used these shooting against the light. My newer Sigma Art 18-35mm seems fine - for now. I am just curious if others have found their third-party lenses are more susceptible to this issue than their Nikon glass. I suppose this isn't a big deal, but I could see it being one for sellers.

Depends on the climate you live in. Is there high levels of moisture in your area? If so you might need to invest in a dehumidifier dry case. I read on another forum someone had to put their camera equipment in one to avoid fungus for their lenses. In my area, I don't get enough humidity!

Last edited:
I live in eastern Canada - we get a bit of humidity in the summer, then nothing the rest of the year. Over the past 35 years, I’ve seen dust and debris find its way into lenses, usually between elements. Seems to be par for the course.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom