Is it animal or plant?

Discussion in 'Birds' started by sfoxjohn, Jul 6, 2005.

1. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    This is the most camouflaged sea horse I ever saw. Looks like a swimming plant. It, and a few more like it are at the NJ State Aquarium in Camden.

[​IMG]

John

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    What a cool image, John. I have never seen such a seahorse. Wonderful colors and composition.

3. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    Thanks Frank.

I never even heard of one before, and I've been around for a long time.

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Well I would have said plant before reading your description. Very nice shot John.

BTW, you could post it bigger if you wish. The Cafe norm is 650 - 950 pixels on the wide side. Shows the shots off a little better I think. :wink:

5. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Wow, now that's a camoflaged Seahorse!

Good shot John. How dod you get the WB so accurate?

6. Very nice shot great color I have not been to the aquaroum since it has opend, I think I will try this weekend, we are almost neighbors, I live in Cherry Hill NJ

7. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    Frank, Steve and Mike. Thank you for the kind words.

Frank - I usually use either 800px(max) horiz. for landscape and 600px(max) vert. for portrait orientation for my smugmug pictures so they will fit most screens. In fact I have a pair of actions that do it quickly. Since I download pictures that I post here from my smugmug site, that's why the size. I guess it looks pretty small if you are using 1200x1600. Maybe I'll re-think that.

Steve - I use ACR to convert my NEF files and usually diddle the WB a little bit. But, believe it or not, this was taken using Auto WB and no diddling in ACR. I think the aquarium did a great job on the lighting here.

Mike - It will be well worth your time. They have done a good job in lighting the exhibits. And they have put in a decent cafeteria as part of the overall upgrade. You might also be able to get a good shot of the Philly skyline. The light was bad for it the day I was there.

John

8. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    John,

I do exactly the same thing using an action in PS CS. I see that you used the medium (M) image from your smugmug site. If you just change that to O then you will get the original image that you uploaded. That's what I do, and I've found that it gives the best rendition for forums like the Cafe.

Regards,

9. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    Thanks Frank. I never thought of that.

So, here is a framed version at 920px wide.

[​IMG]

John

10. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Oh my. That is much better (actually, gorgeous comes to mind....;-)).

What framing action did you use?

Thanks,

11. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    I think it came from a set I got from Fred Miranda.

John

12. tjgreen

tjgreen Guest

Nifty

That's just great - I've spent hours underwater on the other side of the world searching for one of these to take a picture of, didn't think of going to NJ :).

Dumb newbie question - how did you take such a great pic through the glass, without showing the glass, and with no backscatter? Was the water and glass just super clean, and no flash used?

13. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    tjgreen,

Thanks.

I used: D70, 50mm f/1.8 lens, set at ISO 200, f/1.8, 1/40sec RAW+JPG. No filter, no flash. And a very steady hand. Fortunately, they are very slow moving critters. In PhotoShop I used ACR to capture the RAW file, then Shadows/highlights a little, and finally Curves to boost contrast a very little. No sharpening. Then change to 8-bit and sRG (from adobe1998), resize for the web and save as JPG.

Reflection wasn't a problem because the room was darkened. I always try to use the lowest ISO possible to minimize noise, which might have given the appearance of cloudy water in this picture. The price you pay is to shoot a (slowly) moving object at 1/40sec. Like most things you have to trade off something. Who knows, if I had used Iso 800 and 1/300 it might have turned out OK too. (I don't mind shooting slow. My smugmug pictures of Carlsbad Caverns were taken on ISO 100 film at 8sec(w/tripod) at f/16. Flash would have simply washed out the beautiful lighting they have there.)

Yes the water and glass were both clean. Flash would have washed out all the color even if it didn't glare out the window. Being able to check in the LCD let me see whether each shot was sharp enough.

Finally, if all that had failed, I could go back to the aquarium another day and try again.

John

14. tjgreen

tjgreen Guest

No complaints here - what you did worked, obviously. I'm going to take a trip to the aquarium for some experimenting, I think.