Is it just me, or is the new google maps terrible

McQ

Still looking to break 80 consistently.
Real Name
Glenn
Could you elaborate on this, maybe provide some specifics of what has changed and what you don't like?

Recently I wanted to use it to measure some bike routes and found to my surprise that feature was no longer available. Additionally the look and feel is strange and the maps appear to be of lower resolution. I was able to go back to the original.

The moment I found out that I was not able to right click and add a origin or destination or way point I went back to the original version.

I don't need to know all nearby Pizza places by typing pizza.

This new version was more for advertisements for Google that true mapping.

McQ

Real Name
Glenn
Interesting. I haven't seen a problem with Google Maps. Are we complaining about the app for phones or the desktop version?

Both seems to work fine to me. Resolution hasn't changed, you can still do everything you could do before as far as I can see.

Interesting. I haven't seen a problem with Google Maps. Are we complaining about the app for phones or the desktop version?

Both seems to work fine to me. Resolution hasn't changed, you can still do everything you could do before as far as I can see.

I believe that people are complaining about the smart phone version. They removed a lot of the functionality, and horribly over simplified it. I also uninstalled the update, and refuse to reinstall it. Unfortunately Google will likely have the last laugh when they eventually shove the update down our throats just like they are trying to do with Google Plus.

It's certainly different - it seems like they're pushing the voice-based use of apps with this one. If I tell Google Voice to "navigate to the closest grocery store", it starts up Google Maps navigation and maps it out and begins navigating automatically as I move and I've only touched the phone once.

Alternatively, if I try and tap through the app to do the same thing, the UI gets in the way and I'm not sure which textfield is for my destination, and then it tries to autocomplete what I'm typing and that's in the way. I don't know if this is a deliberate push to voice commands but I find that to be the more efficient approach.

Sean

McQ

Real Name
Glenn
I believe that people are complaining about the smart phone version. They removed a lot of the functionality, and horribly over simplified it. I also uninstalled the update, and refuse to reinstall it. Unfortunately Google will likely have the last laugh when they eventually shove the update down our throats just like they are trying to do with Google Plus.

Ah, thanks. Couldn't tell which one from the thread.

Since I use Waze almost exclusively I haven't bothered with the new Google Maps App too much yet.

Ah, thanks. Couldn't tell which one from the thread.

Since I use Waze almost exclusively I haven't bothered with the new Google Maps App too much yet.

Didn't Google buy Waze? I thought the two were going to be fully integrated if they haven't been already.

No, it's the desktop application as well. I have a 30" apple HD screen to plot out my routes. When I selected the new version the trouble began. I switched back to the original. I just checked and the resolution is much coarser and the Fairfax county bike paths are no longer included.

Classic Google Maps
gm1-XL.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

New and improved Google Maps
gm2-XL.jpg

Yes the areas have different coverage, but the new version was zoomed in so it actually emphasizes how bad it is. The first appears to be a vector while the second seems to be a bit mapped image. Maybe I did something wrong, but if you were trying to get me to buy one over the other you would think they would make it easy to switch without having to dig through the application.

McQ

Real Name
Glenn
Didn't Google buy Waze? I thought the two were going to be fully integrated if they haven't been already.

They did buy Waze recently. So far, Waze can still be used as a standalone app. Keeping hopeful that the eventual integration takes the best features from both.

I spent a few days not able to figure out where I was going. To me, it's just much less intelligible now. I would look at it, and for the life of me couldn't figure out where I was or which way I needed to go.

Google pulled a "Microsoft Windows Vista". Hah!

McQ

Real Name
Glenn
Hmmm. Weird issues with it. I just did the same thing as Rich, to see if it doing that on my desktop (27" iMac). They look the same to me. Even includes the bike trail near me. It's just not highlighted in green ink like the old map had it.

My examples (click to enlarge):

Old:

i-DDk99RL-X3.png

New:

i-fXccmrM-X3.png

Latest threads

Top Bottom