Is it possible to add two airport express to

extend Airport Extreme even farther? We have a rather long house with the base station one end and WI Fi at the other end is spotty even with one Airport Extreme set up to extend. I have another Airport Express but my MBP doesn't see it when it's plugged in. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike, I would imagine you could, although I don't know for sure... but I'm not sure it would have the desired effect... wireless is only so effective... Is it possible to run your base station to a more centralized location? Then maybe you could put a wireless extended on either side of it...

I've setup some Airport based networks and for customers (at the time I worked at an Apple Reseller) and haven't needed a second Express all that time... I would try the Apple support pages or walk in at your local Genius Bar... they would know for sure I gues..

S

SmilesLots

I have one, and two time machines for the extended coverage and it works great. So I say yes, without a doubt.

If you're trying to do Extreme --> Express --> Express, not sure if that would work. You'd be losing so much latency with that, it may not even be worth it.

Centralizing would be a better solution if you can do it.

If you're trying to do Extreme --> Express --> Express, not sure if that would work. You'd be losing so much latency with that, it may not even be worth it.

Centralizing would be a better solution if you can do it.

Thank you Parker,
Yes, that's exactly what I'd like to do but so far I can't seem to get the first express to recognize the second express. I think I'll consult with the genius's at the bar.

You can do it. However, be aware that every time you extend the network through an Express, you lose half the bandwidth. So by the time you get to the end of the chain, you'll have 1/4 bandwidth, even if you have full signal strength. This may be not worth the tradeoff for you.

B

Bluering

Just bought an Airport Express one month ago to be used in hotel room on my coming Japan Trip. As I don't bring a laptop with me, I guess I should be able to use Skype on my iphone 4 via the WIFI to ring back home and to check my emails and get on with other communication.

Just bought an Airport Express one month ago to be used in hotel room on my coming Japan Trip. As I don't bring a laptop with me, I guess I should be able to use Skype on my iphone 4 via the WIFI to ring back home and to check my emails and get on with other communication.

I used mine in China with my iPod touch for Skype, email and web access. Glad I had a short Ethernet cable with me though.

Just make sure you set your Airport Express at home for DHCP and Security.

Thank you Parker,
Yes, that's exactly what I'd like to do but so far I can't seem to get the first express to recognize the second express. I think I'll consult with the genius's at the bar.

First, open AirPort Utility, select the Extreme and the "Wireless" panel, check the box "Allow this network to be extended," then Update.

To then setup the Express, plug it in near the Extreme, connect the two with Ethernet cable and again open AirPort Utility, having run software update prior to doing so. After completing setup of the Express, disconnect it and plug it in to an electric receptacle at its intended location.

I've been battling this exact situation on our home, which is also long. I have airport extreme one end (802.11n). Was using 2 airport express (802.11g) via WDS. It worked pretty well. I went from 3mbps (the fastest i could get) down to 0.6mbps at the far end. It was fast enough to surf regular sites without slowing down too much.

Recently I bought an airport express (802.11n) and the extended without WDS and signal is much better now (3mbps end to end)

So if you are going to extend, i would avoid WDS method. If you're stations aren't 802.11n capable, i would suggest maybe upgrading. you can find a bunch on craigslist used. =)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom