1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Is it possible to ever be happy with the lenses you have?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Weston, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Weston

Weston

Dec 29, 2008
    Springfield, OR
    It seems like as soon as you've had a lens you knew you needed (or maybe just wanted) for a while, you start thinking about the next lens to get to replace it. Is it possible to ever have the perfect setup? :smile:

2. bill-e

bill-e

May 10, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I think the answer is yes, you can have a perfect setup and it is likely with far fewer lenses than I own but I also think a lot depends on why you take pictures.

If you're a professional then there are many factors which govern your lens selection and you would have probably learned that less is more at some point. Not to mention that whole profit thing :) .

If you're a hobbyist like me, then part of the enjoyment is buying the hardware and because of that you'll never be finished, I know I wont....at least not until my wife finds out how much this stuff costs :) 

3. lovD300

lovD300

Feb 25, 2008
    Canada
    I hear you though... same here. I just keep thinking of getting that perfect kit. And with that there is growth as well... right now I am a DX shooter, and I think I am about max 2 lens away from the setup I want. But once I then decide to go to FX.. it starts all over again. lol

4. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    Yes.

But there's always something else to try! :tongue:

5. Of course it's possible..................as long as you have all the lenses you'll ever want! :tongue::wink::biggrin:

6. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    Yep, and I achieved my perfect setup for a little less than 5K (which sounds like a lot, but not really if you look at current prices). I use each lens I have and really have no lust, last time I bought a lens it was a used Tamron 90 about 3 years ago.

Most important, I use all my lenses quite frequently.

7. lovD300

lovD300

Feb 25, 2008
    Canada
    now that I think of it.. you could be happy, .... it just comes down to how many lenses/gear you got before you wife found out how much your spending and shut you down! lol:biggrin:

8. Weston

Weston

Dec 29, 2008
    Springfield, OR
    But for most people it's not possible to have all the lenses you'll ever want! lol

9. lenses, yes. Gear, no!

10. Some want more than others! Some want more than they really need. I've owned camera systems and been more than satisfied with two lenses.

11. Yes,
    I'd be more happy if I have more time to go out shoot picture than search for another lens.

12. Weston

Weston

Dec 29, 2008
    Springfield, OR
    Good point. I like going light, especially when I'm doing a long hike. I enjoyed just using my D90 with a 10.5mm, Tamron 90mm, and an SBR200 for an afternoon.

13. Wileec

Wileec Guest

I think it comes down to how wise one is in their initially lens selection and how well you want to do, at the things you are shooting. It's also impacted by the quality one aim's to achieve. The wider the range of different kinds of shots one plans on taking, the more careful you have to be in your lens choices.

I find I add lenses that are more dialed in for specific kinds of shots. It's not that you can't take the shot with a lens you already have, but there are caveats to doing so. So Once I had my basic kit, I've found myself adding primes that take particular kinds of shots far better and/or easier than existing lenses. For example, the 70-200mm is a great lens, but one of it's caveats is it's MFD, which is around six feet. The 105mm f/2.8 VR macro has a MFD that is under a foot, so it's far easier to get macro shots with it. I was able to use extension tubes with the 70-200mm to reduce the MFD, but that, too, comes at the price of a much narrower field of focus. For still subjects, I could use extension tubes with my 50mm f/1.8 (my first lens) and get pretty decent results, but by working from further away, it's easier to get greater DOF.

At the end of the day, it's all about what one is trying to accomplish and the level of skill one is willing to develop with the lenses a person already has.

14. I think I'd still be VERY happy with my 18-55 kit lens had I not discovered this place.. :rolleyes: 

As soon as I clicked "Register Now", all of a sudden my 18-55 turned into an unusable plastic paperweight.

15. My answer probably depends on what I'm doing. If I'm 'out there' shooting and enjoying myself, I rarely give thought to the gear I don't have.

All that changes once I'm back home. Then I start looking at my photographs, wondering if different gear would have produced better results (the true answer of course, is the only 'gear' that would improve things is the photographer, but I never like that answer...), start browsing the Lens Lust forum and fall back into wanting what I don't have.

Ah, it's a viscous cycle!

16. I adopted the less is more way of thinking. I am still paying off my 70-200 purchase and my D90 and buying more gear will only hurt that. The quicker I pay off my current gear, the quicker I make a profit, which at this rate is 3 months.

17. Juliflex

Juliflex

Jan 27, 2008
    Puerto Rico
    x2 lol

18. Well I think you could be happy with your lenses if when you decide to do a specific shot and have the lens you need to do it...
    For me, I am happy at the moment, but I guess there's always that feeling is there a lens that can do it better than what you have...:rolleyes: ...
    Damn that feeling... :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:...

19. :eek: 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.