Is it shameless or shamefull...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Phyer Phyter, Jul 22, 2007.

1. To put a Link to another thread to shamelessly or shamefully direct people to check out some of my pictures? Just wondering ya know...:wink:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Well, if you're referencing a similar subject to the one in the the thread, and it's a decent example, maybe not.

But if it's a blatant hijack of the thread, it's not shameless, it's rude.

IMO, anyway.

John P.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  3. If there is a purpose for the link; i.e., an example to help make your point, then it may be OK. To just make a new thread to direct people to another of your threads would be considered shameless. As John said above, if you put the link in someone else's thread with no purpose other than to one up the original thread owner it would be shameful.

4. Another way to skin the cat, just put your website link under your name in your signature. Folks can then wander over and gaze at your lovely photos to their heart's content! :smile:

5. I'd say try to be subtle. Otherwise you teach people to avoid your links. And posts.

6. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I followed the link, so I think that shame has little to do with it. You have effectively marketed your carival photos.

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I would have missed these as well
    Lots of fun photos
    Thanks

8. .
    ......for which we as members demand 10%......

9. Sure. 10% of nuthin is still Nuthin.

10. I am not sure if some people understood my question. I guess would be concidered tacky and an unnecessary waste of bandwidth to post a link in one thread of the cafe to direct people to another thread of mine with in the cafe to encourage people to view my pictures and comment as desired.
    I guess most thought it was a waste of time with 150+ views and only 4-5 comments. I guess you could say there in lies my answer.

I know the other argument is that if I commented more on other peoples images they would be more inclined to comment on mine. I have recently started a new job and dont have nearly the time I used to have to spend here so it is a little more of a "Hit & Run" thing for me. Not an excuse but an explanation.

11. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    I understood the question. Bandwidth's not the issue, or not the most important issue. Threads in the Café are conversations of a sort. Just as it's rude to intentionally disrupt a conversation for a selfish reason, so it is inappropriate to break up a thread.

Now, in all fairness, conversations take twists and turns, and where a discussion moves is as diverse as the people within it. However, there's a clear difference between an evolving conversation, and a rude interjection aimed purely for inconsiderate reasons.

And, for what it's worth, none of this applies to you. It's a discussion in the abstract.

John P.

12. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Well, I came back here and commented. I acknowledged that they were carnival pictures. Did you want a comment on their value as photographs, on the quality of them, or just a general kudos.

It all depends on what you want. I have found that a single powerful image, with an attached position will generate many comments. A large collection, such as yours tends to overwhelm the viewer, and so does not generate much discussion.

But decide: do you want views or comments? They both indicate that folks have seen your work. Do you view a comment like a payment?