Is it time for a D2x firmware update?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scott Sherman, Oct 15, 2005.

1. I would like to be able to see how many compressed raw images are still available and how many have been shot. In a perfect world, is there anything else that you would like to see which might be fixed by a firmware update?

If Nikon were to come out with a D2xs, what might you expect to see different, realistically? I don't have any serious complaints but I am not shooting pro level and I am not an engineer. I'm just wondering, now that you have had a chance to evaluate our D2x, what we might expect to see change. Nikon seems to like to beta test it's products and then come out with a fixed version. The D70s, D2hs, SB29s and D1x buffer upgrade, come to mind as examples.

2. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Scott,

I've been thinking about this post since you put it up. I just can't think of anything that I would want to change on the X. I'm sure if I ever really figure it out to its fullest extent I might have something to gripe about.

However at this time is just perfect for me.

Thanks,

3. mf44

mf44

Jun 4, 2005
    NJ & MD
    Hmm, all I can say is that it'd be nice to have ISO 1000. At a few venues I shoot sports at I used to use ISO 1000 1/500 f2.8. Now since I'm shooting at 800 I back it down to around 1/400, or I need to jump up to HI - 1. 1000 would be nice, but I don't care all that much.

The only other thing in the back of my mind would be if they came out with an upgrade down the road to allow 12.4 megapixels at 8fps uncropped. That's all I could ask for. And looking at how the D1x got a buffer upgrade eventually, I think we could see something like that in due time. Who knows, though... not me, that's for sure.

4. This is not a thread to say I am dissapointed or not happy with the D2x. Honestly, I am amazed at how much they put into this body. But like everything based on technology, it will evolve. I suppose future versions will have smaller lighter bodys and lenses or be less expensive, but for today, it seems like if you dream it, it will come. I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on ways that Nikon could improve the existing D2x with firmware. I was impressed with how they updated the D70 for us to make it faster and easier to use. Nikon is a great company and they built the D2x to be able to accept firmware updates, so I imagine it is just a matter of time before we see something interesting.

I suppose they could do something with the flash speed, and as I mentioned, compressed raw images don't register an accurate count. I would think a small speed bump could be possible to say, 8.5 fps, possibly built in image copyright like a watermark or some other kind of protection for jpeg's. Auto W/B is still evolving and might be improved. I think it would be kind of cool if an inconspicuous 3 pixel 50% grey dot were to be embedded in every picture that could be used to measure W/B without using a grey card under the given light. I read somewhere that Compact Flash cards will eventually reach limits unimagined today. I know that 12gig is already on the drawing board, this will require a firmware change no doubt. I know there are clever folks out there smarter than me that might come up with interesting improvements.

If not then this thread should make you appreciate your D2x even more if that is possible.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2005