Is it worth to take this class?

Hello,
I am just checking to see if anyone took his class in past and does it worth it? I've never taken any class before and think that I still need to learn a lot. I shoot manual all the time but my pics are not crisp sharp even though with prime lens. I know some of it has to do with hand shake etc but still. I want to understand the low light settings and flash potog as well. I wanted to register for this class and see if anyone ever took this class before.
Thanks
Sid

This the ad from Craigs list:

Did you buy that expensive Digital SLR Camera thinking it would practically take the photos for you?!
If you ignore the histograms on your SLR and are guilty of putting your camera in "P" mode and firing away, then you're missing out on all of the features you bought that expensive camera for!
In my 4 hour DSLR workshop, you'll learn about:

1. Exposure (ISO, Aperture and Shutter Speed) and Metering - Yes, I know you learned this in high school, but it's time for a refresher!
2. Low Light Exposure - The scariest part of photography simplified.
3. Histograms - Learn how the Histogram can be your best friend
4. Dynamic Range- Know your cameras limits and intro to HDR Rendering
5. White Balance - How to turn those yellow and pink photos back to normal.
6. RAW vs. JPEG - The benefits of shooting in RAW mode. You are shooting in RAW mode, right?
7. Camera Modes - Take That Camera off Program Mode!
8. Lenses Myths - "Which lens should I buy?!"
9. Composition Techniques - How to stop taking mug shots and start taking portraits
10. Flash Techniques and Attachments - How to balance your flash and room lighting and lose the harsh shadows.
11. Focusing -Techniques for portraits and action photography
12. Wedding Photography Techniques - I'll show you techniques that will make you fearless at a wedding!
13. Children and Family Photo Techniques - Take photos that will have everyone asking you to photograph their kids!

The workshop lasts 4 hours and costs $80; it will take place at the Westin Arlington Gateway (801 North Glebe Road ) Arlington, VA. I shoot with a Nikon D700, but have owned just about every Nikon digital camera including the D1, but I also am very familiar with Canon, Olympus, Pentax and Sony Alpha.

Here are a couple of video excerpts on youtube:
Optimizing Shutter Speed
Shooting in Bright Sunlight

Visit my site for more information or to register: Washington DC DSLR Workshop You can also email dcdslrworkshop@gmail.com or give me a call at 202.905.5181

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/pho/1315704854.html

I'd say "NO" just because you can learn all of those from experience or better yet, get a book if you still don't understand or have little knowledge on those subjects especially 1-7. Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson is a start.

Although, I would probably suggest investing your time on a Flash Photography workshop. Neil Van Niekerk will have a class in Annapolis MD on 10/1 or you can also check out Washington School of Photography. They have a bunch of workshop from Intermediate to Professional you can choose from.

Nick..I just clicked on the Craigslist link that the OP posted and it has been flagged and deleted. I wonder why. lol!

wow, I am so glad I check w/you guys here. I was little skepticle about it also. I'll definitely checkout the Washington School of Photog and get some books on flash photog. I learned alot from you guys on on this forum but it's just sometimes I think I need some hands on expierence over all from a pro.
Thanks
Sid

Do you have a local community college? Check there and see if they have a Digital Photography class. It will last a complete semester, you will have your images critiqued by people who know (or are supposed to know) what they are doing, and you should be able to take the class for maybe a hundred bucks or so. You will get a lot more out of a class then you would from a 4 hour thing that may not even be a thing. :eek: Plus, you will get to see how other interpret what the instructor has said, and you will get to hear their questions and the answers. You should also pay attention here, there is a lot of good advise and good technique here.

Do you have a local community college? Check there and see if they have a Digital Photography class. It will last a complete semester, you will have your images critiqued by people who know (or are supposed to know) what they are doing, and you should be able to take the class for maybe a hundred bucks or so. You will get a lot more out of a class then you would from a 4 hour thing that may not even be a thing. :eek: Plus, you will get to see how other interpret what the instructor has said, and you will get to hear their questions and the answers. You should also pay attention here, there is a lot of good advise and good technique here.
Bovineguy: I think NOVA community college offers a course but my main problem is time. I am taking online classes, work full time and have 5 months old boy. With both of us working it's hard to find time to get anything done these days especially with new baby.

Sid....check out Neil Van Niekerk's site http://www.planetneil.com/

OCIR, thanks for the link I'll check it out.

Sounds like a good deal to me. If you feel you can benefit from all that information ...then go for it. If it were a Nikon School class...I would say no.

Ok so go for it. I attend only one photography conference a year and it's 6 times that price...however my conference is over 5 1/2 days. Every year that I go to it I learn something that I didn't know. Take care.

ETA:
Well I just read post number 4...so I guess it wasn't a good deal after all.

I too think that it's not a bad idea. Many people spend $80 on a camera strap, so I think it's not a bad deal for a 4 hour workshop. If the excerpts on Youtube were informative, you may find the workshop even more helpful.

I learned about photography the hard way, so my learning curve was rather long. If I had to do it over again, I would take a few classes and save a lot of time and headaches.

Anyway, a lot of "pros" might see holding such workshops as a way to earn some extra money when business is slow. You can't fault someone for trying to make a little extra money, so long as the service he is offering is useful to you.

The reason the ad was flagged was probably due to it's being miscategorized, it should have been posted in the "services" section. You might find it again if you look there.

IsamuM

Not-quite-
Hi Sid,

If you have $80 to spend on a 4-hour course by a dubious instructor, then I highly recommend that you spend $20 for a month of Kelby Training. They have a plethora of video courses by some of the best photogs and PS instructors in the world. One new course that might be especially interesting for you is Joe McNally's "Photographing with One Light."

One new course that might be especially interesting for you is Joe McNally's "Photographing with One Light."
I'm thinking I'm going to shell out for a month's worth just for that series. The Hot Shoe Diaries was an excellent book IMHO. Thanks for that link. Can the courses be saved to a hard drive?

IsamuM

Not-quite-
I'm thinking I'm going to shell out for a month's worth just for that series. The Hot Shoe Diaries was an excellent book IMHO. Thanks for that link. Can the courses be saved to a hard drive?
I've looked into different ways to try to save the videos (I think they're Flash), but haven't found anything. Even so, they're definitely worth the price and if you like Joe, then there are seven courses available.

Shelled out for a subscription and I'm halfway through the single-light series. Fantastic... Basic stuff for most of you I'm sure, but I'm learning a heck of a lot here:)

You can learn all that stuff in more detail by watching the videos on D-Town TV. And you can download them and go back and watch them again if you need to refresh your memory.

Carole

ohh wow bunch of good information and suggestions. I've already made up my mind not to take that class as an FYI. I am looking into getting a good book and learning from some of the websites that are listed in this thread. I'll look into WSP once figure out some spare time.
I was invited to a friends reception last night and took my cam, flash and 35 1.8g. I was shooting away and playing with different settings. I used flash in some shots but didn't like it much and went back to higher aperture and monopod. So yea flash photog is definately on my list to learn.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom