Is Mulit-Coating in UV filter worth $50???

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by MD2595, Jul 17, 2008.

1. MD2595

MD2595

Jul 6, 2007
    Fort Worth, TX
    I'm looking at Heliopan 77mm UV/Haze protective filters.

The regular 77mm filter is about $74 and the "Super mulit-coated" is $121.

Would I be able to tell a difference, and if so, is it worth it???

Thanks

2. I'd get Hoya's 77mm SMC filters. They're a good 40-50 dollars cheaper, and I haven't found any problems with them.

3. archangel

archangel

Apr 15, 2008
    ny
    hoya pro digital filter UV = $45 new from ebay :)  downside i hear is its a bit more difficult to clean but thats it.

4. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    Get Hoya HD filters. They use harder glass and have 8 layers of coatings.

5. Have you used these? I think they are the replacement for the Super HMC Pro1 line.... Which used to be their top (not to be confused with the pro1 digital...).

I like to buy my filters from a Hong Kong outfit: HVSTAR. Great service... Highly reccomend!

6. Hartawan

Hartawan Guest

I use B+W UV filter

7. MD2595

MD2595

Jul 6, 2007
    Fort Worth, TX

I've got a nice B+W circular polarizer for the 80-200 2.8 and the 17-55 2.8, but I've only a Quantaray UV filter. I bought it when I was still green (not to say that I'm not still a rookie).

I know that I could save some money going with Heliopan over B+W, and even more going with Hoya.

I need 2 of them (one for the 80-200 2.8 and one for the 17-55 2.8 DX) and I want to get the best I can for the money.

Thanks,

Matt

8. RichNY

RichNY Guest

Spend the few extra dollars and get the B+W

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.