Is my D50 broken?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Dr A, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Dr A

Dr A

Feb 2, 2008
    State College, PA
    I been noticing an interesting phenomenon when trying to focus on things using any focus point other than the center focus point. Sometimes the camera just can't seem to 'lock on' the subject as easily and quickly (or sometimes not at all) when using either top, bottom, right or left focus points. Move the focus point to the middle, and it locks on quickly and accurately. Has anyone else noticed this? Do other Nikon cameras do this? Does the D300 do this??? Should I upgrade !:)????

2. triebs2

triebs2 Guest

I have never noticed this on any Nikon camera. My autofocus works smoothly on all focus points on the D50.

Have you seen this with multiple lenses?

3. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    I believe that on the D50 (and probabally other cameras too) the central focus point is the strongest, i.e. it is sensitive to the least amount of contrast and is therefore good in low light and for fiddly subjects.

I think I've noticed this from time to time, however I tend to manually focus for very fiddly subjects anyway.

4. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    Allen - it's a sign. Go get your D300.

5. TheHundreds

TheHundreds

Jun 26, 2008
    NYC
    yeah you have to move away from what your focusing and focus again, it's quite annoying.

6. Dr A

Dr A

Feb 2, 2008
    State College, PA
    Thanks all for the replies. I think I might hold off till August and see what Nikon announces. I might just have to get me a D300!

7. triebs2

triebs2 Guest

Well, based on what rotxlk82 reported I just did a quick check with the D50 and the 35-70 f/2.8.

I found that it focused quickly using all focus points in my dimly lit room on any items with decent contrast. However, it had trouble finding focus using the left and right focus points on the indentations of the white door, which is a pretty low contrast shot in a dim room. The central, upper, and lower points, however, found focus even on the low contrast item.

Surprisingly, or maybe not, I had the exact same results with the D300. The upper most, central, and lower most points had no problems finding focus on the low contrast dim item, while the far left and far right points searched for a bit and then settled out of focus.

Conclusion: AF should work fine with all points in good focusing conditions on the D300 and D50. In crappy conditions, stick towards the middle focus points.

8. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    Karl: that's basically what I've found in my experience with the D50, I don't have any other AF cameras to compare however I'm sure I've seen it in writing that the non-central points are less sensistive to contrast and light compared to the centre.

I would imagine that this is the case with all multi AF point cameras.

In the future it might be best to focus from the centre then recompose for awkward composistions in poor light.

9. bigwilly

bigwilly

Oct 19, 2007
    Toronto
    I believe the center focus point on the D50 is a cross type sensor which is more sensitive. My D50 behaves the same and is especially noticible with I have a slow lens attached.

10. TheHundreds

TheHundreds

Jun 26, 2008
    NYC
    ^ yeah and if your in lowlight areas

11. jamesclarke

jamesclarke Guest

This is my understanding as well. The centre focus point is sensitive to horizontal and vertical detail, the left and right ones to vertical detail only and the top and bottom horizontal only.

12. Dr A

Dr A

Feb 2, 2008
    State College, PA
    That is interesting. Totally explains what I'm seeing. I'm glad it's normal, but it's too bad it doesn't work better. Thanks for the replies.