Is my Sigma 18-125 lens bad?

Hello People,

I own a Sigma 18-125 1:3.5-5.6 DC lens. I bought it instead of the kit lens with my D70 and use is as main walk around lens. Can you have a look at this picture (large JPG straight from the camera) and tell me if you notice something?

I have the impression that the left side of some this pictures is badly out of focus. It is a photo of a serie of test shots I made. It was shot using the wide side of the zoom (18mm) and large aperture (F3.5). With smaller apertures the effect seems to disappear rapidly. I can not reproduce this effect at longer focallengths or my other lens (Tamron 90 mm 1:2.8).

I made the testshots because I have similar photos where the left side is out of focus.

:confused: Is this normal behaviour normal? (I guess not)
:confused: Should I go back to my dealer? (If the behaviour is not normal, yes, of course)

It looks that way, but I would choose another subject - e.g. a newspaper taped to a flat wall - for a more critical demonstration of the problem.

B

bpetterson

Your focus point as read in Nikon Capture was on the horizon
quite far away.
In any case at that distance try f8 to f11 and see if the problem goes away.

Birger

jfrancis said:
It looks that way, but I would choose another subject - e.g. a newspaper taped to a flat wall - for a more critical demonstration of the problem.
John,

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried that and it showed that I have the problem with both lenses I own. I guess that means the sensor of my D70 is misaligned. I sent it in to the local representative of Nikon in Holland (Inca) :frown:. Three weeks later and it would have been outside the garanty period. Now I have to wait until it returns.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom