Is my Sigma 18-125 lens bad?

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by MaCo, Aug 28, 2005.

1. MaCo

MaCo

Jun 23, 2005
    Netherlands
    Hello People,

I own a Sigma 18-125 1:3.5-5.6 DC lens. I bought it instead of the kit lens with my D70 and use is as main walk around lens. Can you have a look at this picture (large JPG straight from the camera) and tell me if you notice something?

I have the impression that the left side of some this pictures is badly out of focus. It is a photo of a serie of test shots I made. It was shot using the wide side of the zoom (18mm) and large aperture (F3.5). With smaller apertures the effect seems to disappear rapidly. I can not reproduce this effect at longer focallengths or my other lens (Tamron 90 mm 1:2.8).

I made the testshots because I have similar photos where the left side is out of focus.

:confused: Is this normal behaviour normal? (I guess not)
    :confused: Should I go back to my dealer? (If the behaviour is not normal, yes, of course)

2. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    It looks that way, but I would choose another subject - e.g. a newspaper taped to a flat wall - for a more critical demonstration of the problem.

3. bpetterson

bpetterson Guest

Your focus point as read in Nikon Capture was on the horizon
    quite far away.
    In any case at that distance try f8 to f11 and see if the problem goes away.

Birger

4. MaCo

MaCo

Jun 23, 2005
    Netherlands
    John,

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried that and it showed that I have the problem with both lenses I own. I guess that means the sensor of my D70 is misaligned. I sent it in to the local representative of Nikon in Holland (Inca) :frown:. Three weeks later and it would have been outside the garanty period. Now I have to wait until it returns.

5. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    That's a bummer. But at least you'll get it done under warranty.