Is Nikon 80-400 VR good for bird/sport

Looking for the 80-400 VR, not sure if it is fast enough for bird shooting or sports. I know its not a fast lens but also heard the focusing is bit to the slow side either. Any current comments from the current users will be greatly appreciated.

Real Name
Alex
No, it is not. It has slow AF.

It is a very good lens. I use it for the zoo all the time. It is slow for sports, action, BIF. That's the reason I got the 300mm F/4 for that.

IF Nikon introduces an AF-S version of this lens, I will be first in line to grab one. THe focal range is nice, but the AF is slow. This lens has needed an AF-S upgrade for a LONG time.

I used the lens for several years shooting soccer, softball, and basketball. Yes, it is slow, but I'm very happy with the results I got.
But, if Nikon ever updates it with AFS, I guess I'll be the second person to get one since "RKnecht" will be first.

Real Name
Mark
Then I'll be the third! I love the one I have now. i've shot alot of soccer with it. Of they really do update it to AF-S then that will be an awesome lens. In which case I'll be happy to sell the one now at a very good price.

Thanks everyone's respond. On the other hand, what about using that for night time/indoor concert type lens? My 80-200 2.8 can do a decent job with limited distance. Not sure if the 80-400 capable of doing any kind of of those shots.

Thanks everyone's respond. On the other hand, what about using that for night time/indoor concert type lens? My 80-200 2.8 can do a decent job with limited distance. Not sure if the 80-400 capable of doing any kind of of those shots.

2.8s struggle with night time and indoor concert shots. At 5.6, you have no chance.

If you want to see it at its best for action check out my recent falcons post. It was very frustrating but I have made good sales as stock. The sharpest was the one not in flight. As for night shots I took a photo of an oil rig at midnight from a moving boat and was able to get it accepted to a very picky microstock agency. It has sold a few times. I too would love an AF-S version, preferably DX. I travel often under weight restrictions and need a 2 lens kit. Also I do not want to change lenses in the field too often and I really need the reach of a 400mm. I am considering a 200-400 VR but it is a little pricey.

Last edited by a moderator:
I you want to see it at its best for action check out my recent falcons post. It was very frustrating but I have made good sales as stock. The sharpest was the one not in flight. As for night shots I took a photo of an oil rig at midnight from a moving boat and was able to get it accepted to a very picky microstock agency. It has sold a few times. I too would love an AF-S version, preferably DX. I travel often under weight restrictions and need a 2 lens kit. Also I do not want to change lenses in the field too often and I really need the reach of a 400mm. I am considering a 200-400 VR but it is a little pricey.

That is an exceptional still shot. Unfortunately the BIF is just not for the 80-400. At least now I have some idea what application this lens is capable of.
Thx.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice images Sidd.. I like the details you gave under some fo the pics. Lots of interesting wildlife in your part of the world.

Phil K

Real Name
Phil
It's a bit slow but not unusable for BIF. For better image quality, it has to stop down. In good light and with the D3, it's not a big problem. I won't recommend it as a primary bird lens, but it's useful when you are traveling and birding is not the primary aim of the trip.

original.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

original.jpg

original.jpg

I love this lens for my wild horse photography. But it can't compare to the 300 or 400 prime for birds in flight. The larger the target, the less of an issue the slow focus becomes. I would not recommend it for birds in flight... you'll have alot of missed shots.

Phil and others, I have the 80-400 vr on my D300 and would like to upgrade this lens to something a little faster. What might you all suggest for Birds.

Thank you - perfect timing for me...

I don't mind any suggestion for non-Nikon...I heard some mixed review of Sigma 150-500 OS. Its much faster but not sure if the IQ is up to par.

Real Name
Randy
Phil and others, I have the 80-400 vr on my D300 and would like to upgrade this lens to something a little faster. What might you all suggest for Birds.

Thank you - perfect timing for me...

300/4 + 1.4 TC is the best bang for the buck

spectacular cat shots !

Randy

Thanks so much Randy

[Nice images Sidd.. I like the details you gave under some fo the pics. Lots of interesting wildlife in your part of the world.

Thanks so much. India has some amazing wildlife. If any of you guys ever plan a visit I could help with details.

Back to the 80-400 VR discussion....for the money this lens offers great flexibility with good image quality. I have printed many of my images to 12x18. I know a prime will be better but that offers little framing options when youre on safari vehicles in India

Hope that helps

Regards

Siddharth

images from Wild India
http://www.indianaturewatch.net/view_cat.php?tag=Siddharth+Malik

Latest threads

Top Bottom