Is Pbase down or is it just me???

I just finished uploading a bunch of images from my Saturday shoot and all the sudden Pbase slowed down to a snails pace. Now I am waiting forever to access my site and can't get into the Pbase home page at all.

Gordon,

5:25 PM EST here, site came up, just short of timing out. Slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

This is not on your end only.

Not loading the gallery.
Gale

Pbase down again.....................I'm not suprised!!! :( :( :( :( :(

Seems like everyone has the worst time with that host. I propose a Nikon Cafe picture hosting site!!! I'd pay $$$$ for that!!!

You know that post I made today about the Slashdot story?

There is an internet phenomena called "The Slashdot Effect" -- basically any web site that gets linked to from the front page of Slashdot is going to get 10's of thousands of more hits that it normally does (Slashdot has 100's of thousands of users). That may not be what the problem is, but it may be a contributing factor. A site that is brought down or brought to its knees is said to be "Slashdotted". In the past, even CNN, Microsoft, and Google have been "Slashdotted".

Smugmug slashdotted

Apparently Smumug has suffered from the phenomena too . Slashdot had this article early today : The Peculiar World of Web Photo Sharing.

I use Gallery, it's good and very configurable.

However, it is a little difficult to set up, especially if you're new to any form of web design. Also the instructions are a little iffy (especially as to what needs to be chmodded when installing) and a bit threadbare. I had a little (only a little, not a lot) difficulty installing Gallery and I already had a background in web design, although admittedly only minimal PHP experience

Like many open source projects, the authors seem more intent on continuously improving and upgrading their project than ever getting around to writing (an often long-promised) comprehensive help and installation manual. .

Of course, you need you're own webspace to be able to install it.

I came across another one, the name of which escapes me for the moment, which I think might be a little better than Gallery. I'll look it up when I get home this evening.

Neil

Thanks for the responses and discussion. My problem is that my advertising and business cards are based on Pbase and for the most part they have given me good service (if you ignore January and February for which they didn't charge me).

They seem to be working again.

Latest threads

Top Bottom