Is PictureProject as bad as I've read?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Gordon Large, Mar 4, 2005.

1. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Is there any point in even installing it? Based on a quick run through of a few images, it looks like NV 6.2.3 maintains all its functionality with D2x NEFs. But I've read that Nikon will no longer improve or maintain NV. True? If any of you are dumping NV, what are you using instead?

Thanks,
    Gordon

2. bpetterson

bpetterson Guest

Nikon is and will keep Nikon View for us.

Birger

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Gordon,

I was totally unimpressed by my brief experience with PP.

Frank

4. I never took it out of the box! :)

5. billT

billT Guest

Mine neither. It is still in the sealed envelope.

BillT

6. Oh well ! Will I pay for this ?
    I use and appreciate PictureProject v. 1.1 (Mac version). It works with a sibling app, PicturePoject Transfer. This one app has sufficient control in the way the files are imported and stored on my HD. The main app is not intuitive in managing folders, collections, last import and file references, but it is stable and robust when you master it.
    It is easy to burn CDs or DVDs, build slideshows, export and reduce files, mount photobooks. Shooting data relative to the file is well interpreted; keywords, and IPTC can be inserted. It also comes with an editing module that I respect, mainly because of the algorithm used in the AutoEnhance function which makes wonder. All changes can be canceled even after the file is saved modified (and that goes for jpg too, though I have not figured yet how this is made possible). Edited NEF files can be opened in Capture with the changes still editable.
    I have no fear to use it prior to further work in Capture and PS, if necessary. It has straighten and shortened my workflow.

7. No ...

It is twice as bad ... :twisted:

8. I feel that if you are happy with this program and it works for you, I think that you made the right decision.

9. I think it is made for thos who don't want to spend money on high end photoprocessing software like Photoshop CS or Nikon Capture. It seems to be competition for Apple's iPhoto 5 or Adobe Album.

I find that Nikon Capture version 4.2.1 in multi window opens images just as fast as Nikon View or PSCS browser on my Mac G5. Recently I have been opening photos in Capture doing the WB and color adjustment there and then exporting it to Photoshop CS for layer adjustments, cropping and resizing. I use Fred Miranda plug in's for the resizing, they work very well for me. I have uninstalled both Nikon View and Picture Project.

10. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

11. jgrove

jgrove

Apr 13, 2005
    Halesowen,UK
    Well i will probebly be shot down in flames, but i actually like V1.5.1. BUT the only reason i like it (and it is the only reason) is that i can add IPTC captions to multiple images, ok its not very quick and you cant do multiple entires at once but its a start.

Apart from that its no use to me at all. The import function is hopeless, most people who own a D2hs,D2h or a D2x are not going to editi there NEF files in PP anyway!

I think the least NIkon could have done for owners of these cameras is to supply Nikon Capture with the camera.