Is 'shutter curtain replaced' the same as 'new shutter'?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by davidfriend, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Nikon told me the 'shutter curtain was replaced', is that the same thing as saying 'it has a new shutter'? i'm confused :(

2. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    I would think that is what they mean. Was this a warranty replacement? I would like to know how much a new shutter costs.

3. jmmtn4aj

jmmtn4aj

Apr 12, 2007
    Singapore
    Generally shutter refers to the entire shutter module, which includes the shutter curtain, the mechanism, the unit everything is housed in, and even the shutter button you depress to take a picture. Most shutter deaths I've seen have obvious damage to the shutter curtain, sort of resembling Venetian blinds that a kid stuck an object into and tried to raise. I guess if that was the problem with it then it should work fine now.

4. If I remember correctly...the click count resets to zero with a shutter replacement.

5. Good question, anybody have an idea on cost?

6. It's not too expensive as I imagined before.

7. I believe I was quoted $270 for a D70 but I would expect the price for all their DSLRs to be similar, not the same of course, but not too different.

8. Thanks for the reply! Am I correct to assume that a shutter replacement would address most all moving / wearing parts, seats and seals?

9. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN
    Is that what they told you on the phone, or what your invoice says?

I just got my D50 back, and the invoice says 'shutter mechanism' replaced.

don't know if this helps or hurts. :biggrin:

10. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    replacing the shutter costs more than the camera itself

11. i thought the highest you could go for a single part repair was a C repair costing $500 or so... nikon service (melville) told me the highest they have seen was $2000 for a D2x that had been submerged and had multiple part replacements...