Is Simpler Better?

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by BillM, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Sometimes it seems that there is too much detail in a scene than we really want to see. What impresses and moves us does not always seem to be the fine pixel peeping detail, but the basic form structure and lighting of what is there. For me, the original photo is just too busy and just does not work...

[​IMG]

While this simpler version seems to show more of what is fundamentally attractive in the scene.

[​IMG]

Neither version is perfect and I am not either for that matter.

What do you think? Which of the two is more pleasing to view?

2. jdhdiggs

jdhdiggs

Mar 25, 2008
    Centenniel
    I really prefer the second by a lot. This is a great example of this phenomenon but a lot of that "too much detail" can be removed in the composition of the scene in a lot of cases (though not in this case)

3. I can't see the EXIF data but one reason to use a shallow DOF is to remove background detail, which in the first shot is necessary IMO.

4. the second is very cool
    i've used this technique a few times, as well

to me, your redone image gives the appearance of a "cel" or storyboard piece from a high-quality cartoon....
    and that is meant as a compliment
    i think that it is wonderful

5. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    This is interesting, I do like the pastelish look of two. I think maybe 1 has to much going on.

I played with a concept last winter myself, I nicknamed them "Photoils" Basically blend in real elements with pastel artistic rendering. I rather like the real road popping out of this one:

[​IMG]

6. Thanks to all for the kind words.

This was taken with a D300 Tokina 12-24 @24mm. I used Buzz Pro 2.0 Simplifier 1 at the midway setting to make the change.

Doug, I really like your picture. What did you do to get the pastel effect in that wonderful image of the road? I'm looking for a replacement for Buzz. They are apparently out of business.

Warm regards,

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.