Is the 24-70 f2.8 what I am looking for?

Shooting motorsport recently (drag racing). The 70-200 f2.8 VR1 is my go to, but on occasion 70mm is too long. I have the 16-85 and 35 f.18. The 16-85 is just too slow for action, the 35/1.8 not any faster.

Drag racing is at night so a fast lens is ideal. Apart from the 24-70 f2.8 what are my options? Won't miss 16 to 24mm at all so not a consideration.

P.S Nikon preferred but happy to consider others of similar quality.

If the 2.8 on the 70-200 is fast enough then you will absolutely love the 24-70.
It stays on my camera pretty much all the time. The 70-200 only goes on for special occasions.

I am not going to tell you not to buy ther 24-70, because I have one and love it!! But I have to ask what your focusing technique is, because that may have a lot to do with the performance of your setup.

Are you using the AF-ON button in conjunction with the shutter release? Or just using the shutter release button for focus, metering, shutter release?

I am not going to tell you not to buy ther 24-70, because I have one and love it!! But I have to ask what your focusing technique is, because that may have a lot to do with the performance of your setup.

Are you using the AF-ON button in conjunction with the shutter release? Or just using the shutter release button for focus, metering, shutter release?

Thanks, curious as to why this is an issue. I use the shutter release. Can't do the AF On button, just feels wrong?!

Thanks, curious as to why this is an issue. I use the shutter release. Can't do the AF On button, just feels wrong?!

In the case of the 16-85 VR, you can get the focus and the VR working together instead of a seperate affair. But for action shots....VR isn't used anyways so.....get the 24-70 I guess!! :Love:

I have shot lots of drag racing from the track. A mid-range lens was the least useful for me on DX. Most used was a 17-35 f2.8 (you need wide when close to get the whole car in the shot) and my 80-200 f2-8 with the 80-200 being used the most standing on the track in front of the cars.

all shot with the 80-200 f2.8
original.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Attachments

• original.jpg
    original.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 26
Last edited by a moderator:
I usually don't like the 24-70 on crop. The 17-55 exists to satisfy that length on crop, plus it's got VR. Usually has to be complimented with a UWA zoom to get a wide spectrum of focal lenghts since the 24 on crop wouldn't be very wide.

I usually don't like the 24-70 on crop. The 17-55 exists to satisfy that length on crop, plus it's got VR. Usually has to be complimented with a UWA zoom to get a wide spectrum of focal lenghts since the 24 on crop wouldn't be very wide.

The 17-55 does not have VR - at least not the Nikon version...

But I agree that the 17-55 is usually the better choice on DX over the 24-70.

Cheers

Mike

Thanks everyone. How is the 17-55 in harsh light compared with the 24-70? No VR shouldn't be an issue at those FL. Faster focussing than the 16-85 and 35/1.8?

The 17-55 focuses lightning fast - no comparison to the 16-85 or 35/1.8, it's like night and day!!!

I don't think there's a difference in AF speed between the 17-55 and 24-70.

You will experience some flare with the 17-55 in backlit situations, though. It does not have nano coating, which is supposed to help with flare... Not a big issue IMO.

Cheers

Mike

I have shot lots of drag racing from the track. A mid-range lens was the least useful for me on DX. Most used was a 17-35 f2.8 (you need wide when close to get the whole car in the shot) and my 80-200 f2-8 with the 80-200 being used the most standing on the track in front of the cars.

Thanks Douglas. Amazing how the cars and bikes look the same. It's almost as if we have copied the US style drag racing vehicles here in Oz.

Thansk Ben. Not sure VR is critical. Interestingly the used market has the 17-55 quite a bit cheaper than the new (nano) 24-70.

The 17-55 does not have VR - at least not the Nikon version...

But I agree that the 17-55 is usually the better choice on DX over the 24-70.

Cheers

Mike

Thanks Mike I guess for the 15mm between 55 and 70 I can move my feet!

The 17-55 focuses lightning fast - no comparison to the 16-85 or 35/1.8, it's like night and day!!!

I don't think there's a difference in AF speed between the 17-55 and 24-70.

You will experience some flare with the 17-55 in backlit situations, though. It does not have nano coating, which is supposed to help with flare... Not a big issue IMO.

Cheers

Mike

Just what I wanted to hear, excellent info Mike, thank you! I think the 17-55 is on the wish-list. Need to sell a few more articles and pix I think!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom